Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The last speeding ticket is the last straw - in the market for detectors

Guys,

Ok, this is the last time I'm caught speeding...I'm in the market to getting detectors that do a good job detecting Radar and Lidar.

Please keep in mind that when it comes to car electronics, I'm a newbie and totally clueless. I want something that is reliable and I'm willing to amass the funds to purchase a higher-end unit if the reliability of it is worth it. If possible, can a list be drawn up of specific models, and I'll do the online research for prices?

I live in MA, and spend 90% of my time driving 91 toward Amherst MA or toward Hartford CT. The other 10% is divided on highways 291 (a small highway that connects 91 to Mass Pike 90 toward Boston), on the Mass Pike 90, or on 95 toward NY.

What are the laws regarding detectors in MA and CT and what should be my procedure if stopped by a cop and I have one of these detectors. Also, when it starts chirping away, I assume I should hit the brakes, unless someone has other advice on what to do when the radar detects something.

Remember, I'm a newbie and want to get as much info as I possibly can so I can move to protect myself from any more radar or lidar tickets.

Thank you for all your help in advance!

Power User

Default Re: The last speeding ticket is the last straw - in the market for detectors

The states you named don't have any laws against detectors. So the general rule of thumb is mount it in a hard place to see and take it down if the worst happens. You said you want a good laser detector. That v1 and 9500ci are the best laser detectors.
    First you must know how laser works. Think of a laser gun as a laser pen and a radar gun as a floodlight. Which one is easier to see with a human eye? The same goes for detectors. Your detector won't go off unless to laser gun is pointing at it aiming at it. Therefore its worthless. I like to think of laser detectors as putting gold plating on a casket. What's the purpose? The good news about laser is there's reliable protection if your willing to pay.

Speed Demon

Default Re: The last speeding ticket is the last straw - in the market for detectors

If u have the budget... I would buy V1 ~$400 - it's has arrows and bogey counter and especially recommended if most of your driving is on highway.

The V1 picks up on laser scatter but it's rare and don't count it. I would suggest good laser jammers. Let us know what type of vehicle u drive and color. I would go with LI - contact cliff. Post pics so we can suggest optimal mounting place.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by jamiefoxer View Post
    Guys,

Ok, this is the last time I'm caught speeding...I'm in the market to getting detectors that do a good job detecting Radar and Lidar.

Please keep in mind that when it comes to car electronics, I'm a newbie and totally clueless. I want something that is reliable and I'm willing to amass the funds to purchase a higher-end unit if the reliability of it is worth it. If possible, can a list be drawn up of specific models, and I'll do the online research for prices?

I live in MA, and spend 90% of my time driving 91 toward Amherst MA or toward Hartford CT. The other 10% is divided on highways 291 (a small highway that connects 91 to Mass Pike 90 toward Boston), on the Mass Pike 90, or on 95 toward NY.

What are the laws regarding detectors in MA and CT and what should be my procedure if stopped by a cop and I have one of these detectors. Also, when it starts chirping away, I assume I should hit the brakes, unless someone has other advice on what to do when the radar detects something.

Remember, I'm a newbie and want to get as much info as I possibly can so I can move to protect myself from any more radar or lidar tickets.

Thank you for all your help in advance!
    Welcome to the forums!

First of all, let me say that a RD is not a LEO detector. A RD is simply a tool. IMO, if you drive crazy fast, no RD is going to help.

I don't know much about driving in your area. One of the first things I suggest you do is to find out what types of speed enforcement are used by the various agencies in your area (Radar, LIDAR, VASCAR, pacing, etc.) There is a place on here where you can look up the types of enforcement in use. And how they use them. For example, radar can be used constantly, or instant on. Do they use unmarked vehicles? Consider the other things in the environment: Terrain, traffic, man made structures, etc.. If you know any LEOs you might consider asking them. Get to really know the area.

Examine how you drive. Like I said, if you drive crazy fast..... If you draw attention, you probably will.

Consider what you drive. There seems to be a theory that some vehicles are more prone to be targeted than others. I'm not sure, but.

Once you know those things, you can start looking at RD features that match your needs. A RD that meets the needs of someone else, may not meet yours. And cost is not always the best criteria to use to choose a RD.

Basically there are two kinds of RD, windshield mounted and custom/remoted mounted. I think most people that use RD use windshield mounted models - which might be a good type for you to start with.

As far as I know, RD are not illegal in any of the areas you drive. But, I suggest that you consider mounting your RD in a place where it is not real apparent. Such as over the RVM, or on the sunvisor. And like others have or probably will suggest, try to stash your RD if you get stopped. Do they use RLC in your area? If so there are RD that help with that too.

There are various RD reviews and postings on here that you can read, and lots of opinions.

You might want to consider getting a lower priced RD (under $100) to use while you are doing your research. That will give you a chance to see what a RD can basically do for you.

Good luck.

Speed Demon

How nice to have a famous and accomplished actor join our humble forum. ;-)

Seriously, I want to second, or third the above responses.

Also, I'll add that if you need radar protection in the city, the V1 is likely to drive you bananas with false alarms. It has some nifty features for quieting the noise, but it doesnt' go far enough in my opinion.

On the other hand, if you want laser protection (and sooner or later, it is likely to become a "must have"), then you can kill several birds with one stone. Two stones actually.

A jammer will let you turn off laser detection on your radar detector (so you don't get so many false alarms from every passing Infinity, etc, with laser guided cruise control).

Ok, so if I understand correctly.

An RD will do good with Radar because of its "floodlight" quality. Essentially the RD will capture some of that floodlight spread and beep a warning. With laser, it's a hit or miss and only if the laser pinpoints my Laser Detector (which is like saying, if a sniper carefully hits me exactly in my head, while the car is moving).

Doesn't seem to make sense to buy a Laser Detector, but an RD might be a good idea.

I don't drive CRAZY fast, but I do usually drive 5-10 over the speed limit. On highways, I tend to drive 70-75 (80 mph if I'm REALLY in a hurry to make a time deadline). Otherwise, purely on conserving gas, I don't try to go faster than the 70-75 range. The posted speed on 91 is 65mph, 65 on 90 Mass Pike, and on 291 is 55mph (the three highways I transit the most.) Yes, I technically speed...but so do 75% of drivers on the highways when I'm driving.

A question and a description for you guys (so I can get more help).

I drive a jet black Honda Civic DX 1999. I cannot post an image link due to my low post count, but it can be seen by an easy Google Image search for "Honda Civic DX 1999 black Coupe". My car, on the outside, is pretty much stock material (no nifty after-market fins or nothing like that).

If YOU were driving this car, what would be the most reliable AND cost effective solution to both Radar and Lidar issues.

Also, if someone could go a little deeper into Lasar Jammers and their efficacy, I would appreciate it.

THANK YOU ALL for such a welcome to this forum! I've already read so much and learned so much from your posts.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jamiefoxer View Post
    Ok, so if I understand correctly.
    With laser, it's a hit or miss and only if the laser pinpoints my Laser Detector (which is like saying, if a sniper carefully hits me exactly in my head, while the car is moving).

Doesn't seem to make sense to buy a Laser Detector, but an RD might be a good idea.

what would be the most reliable AND cost effective solution to both Radar and Lidar issues.

Also, if someone could go a little deeper into Lasar Jammers and their efficacy, I would appreciate it.
    I think you have a good idea on how radar and laser work. I'll have to remember that sniper analogy for future reference.

V1 + Blinder M27 for laser protection on front or Blinder M47 for laser protection on front and back. Also, If Laser Interceptor fits your budget they are the best jammers. Since you mentioned budget I'd look at Blinder. Laser jammers have pretty good chance at efficacy(preventing a laser reading).

Speed Demon

its simple. V1 if drive alot of highway, or just any high end detector. Guys on here will not like my opinion,but to me, realy all the high end stuff give you relatively the same quality/performance. Laser jammers, if you are willing to pay go anywhere from 250 to 2grand. Blinder just came out with m27's for arund 400 which will be great on your car. With laser jammer brands you want to stay with blinder, laser interceptor. Veil is a stealth coating for your headlights that help your jammers do there work easier. Now all of what i am saying is from my knowledge and people may disagree. Even though some of us say different things,you realy cant get any bad advice on this forum.

Old Timer

i have a 1998 honda civic....thing hauls ass jk it can go 100 tho and its great on gas...u def need a laser jammer esp on 91 and all of MA and CT and the rest of new england...in that i have a dual LI set up (im rele sorry i dont have pics of the heads but they are like upper part of the grill where the honda symbol is) and it is completely JTG...you could prob get away with the new bliner m27 but for $200 more u know u JTG no probs...esp headlight shots since the headlights are so big. Also, there is hardwired v1 to the right of the RVM with a concealed display in front of the cluster....also a uniden pro 520 xl and a lil wil

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by texasspeed View Post
    its simple. V1 if drive alot of highway, or just any high end detector. Guys on here will not like my opinion,but to me, realy all the high end stuff give you relatively the same quality/performance.
    Its a get what you pay for game.