Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default wild front plate idea

so i had a wild idea the other day. what if i were to angle my front plate slightly downward (like 15-20 degrees or so?) using longer screws and putting something between them and the car behind the plate. do you think this would reduce the amount of reflectivity it would give to a laser gun, or am i just crazy?

Power User

umm id say crazy

I dont think it would work as it will still reflect back to the gun...maybe not as strong but still strong enough to get a reading.

Professional

I thought about this before also......

but if it's slanted so that it is no longer perpindicular the the road, then shouldn't it end up reflecting the laserbeam elsewhere?

Power User

it will reflect the laser in a different direction but will still reflect to the gun...anyone confirm this?

Professional

i guess it wouldn't really work since i took my IR shots standing up (probably a 25 degree angle) and it still reflected a lot to the camera so now that i think about it, it wouldnt work as well as i had thought

Newcomer

im not even sure if cops even aim at the plates any more. i bet thats just like a universal area that was said to be aimed at years ago, but i think other cops aim at different areas on the car besides just the plates.

any one have any info to confirm that or add to it or just completely disagree with?

peace

Old Timer

My license plate points about 25 degrees downward (accidental) but I think it may help a bit. The less flat surface for the laser gun, the better

Experienced

It may help becouse you are reducing the surface the laser gun can see, so from it's point of view it looks smaller, becouse it's angled. But plate reflectivity is much different than the reflectivity of a mirror for example. Mirror is one big reflective surface and when it's angled, even just a little bit, it will reflect the laser away. Licence plate on the other hand has hundreds of thousands of tiny specks that act as reflective surfaces (kind of like metallic paint) and each one reflects light in its own direction, So alltogether they reflect light in practically all directions. So plates are very reflective even when looked at from very sharp angles.

Cheetah Rep

My rear plate is pointed slightly down. (no front plate) on purpose.
    when doing some testing with my superprotector, i noticed that if i angle it down slightly, it is less visible to high mount (red light) cameras, plus i figured even a slight angle may help with laser possibly. ( maybe not enough to matter, but it can't hurt?)
    the trick was not to angle it too much, or you can't read it if you were standing next to it, and i didn't want to draw that much attention if i ever get stopped for something. plus too much of an angle( too many washers) looked too "obvious".

Lead Foot

Angling your plate down probably will not help enough to make a difference under realworld circumstances. This would be especially true if the plate has a very retroflective surface which will light up like a christmas tree when hit with lidar from a wide range of angles. If a cop in a valley happens to laser you just as you crest a hill then angling your plate downward may even make it easier to get a reading. Most people would here agree that a better move than angling the plate downward would be to go without a plate, use Veil or use a Laser Shield. Maybe the Guys of Lidar could test this for us one day.