Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just got my 690SE - help

I just got my 690SE and had a couple of questions...first of all i have a chevy tahoe so would mounting it in the middle of the windshield be the best idea? also i do mostly highway driving when I go to work so I drive 65 miles back and forth..I do a little bit of driving in the town I live in...what would be the best settings for me because I drove by a place and kept getting a false ka band alert and I believe one false laser alert..any help on which options I should choose would be greatly appreciated..I'm new to having this type of radar detector

Power User

Default Re: Just got my 690SE - help

Mount it high for best radar detection. Forget about laser detection.

Quote Originally Posted by v1user View Post
    Mount it high for best radar detection. Forget about laser detection.
    ok because i've heard mounting it in the middle is best, and i heard as high as i can put it is best..also if anyone can answer my question on what settings i should have from the way I drive as i stated above

Power User

Start with these settings. kamax id, filter, highway mode, pop off.If x band is not used in your area you can turn it off also. If you get ka falses from other detectors go to filter 1 mode, try it for a week and if needed go to filter 2 mode. As you go up in filter settings you make the RD ignore a ka signal before it reports it. The more filter you add the more delay you add, so dont use more filter than you need.

If it is hilly in your area mounting high will help it see over the hill better than low mounting. I like mine mid windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Start with these settings. kamax id, filter, highway mode, pop off.If x band is not used in your area you can turn it off also. If you get ka falses from other detectors go to filter 1 mode, try it for a week and if needed go to filter 2 mode. As you go up in filter settings you make the RD ignore a ka signal before it reports it. The more filter you add the more delay you add, so dont use more filter than you need.

If it is hilly in your area mounting high will help it see over the hill better than low mounting. I like mine mid windshield.
    yea not hilly at all here.. how do i turn pop on or off after i have it on the display after pressing menu?

Power User

Use menu button to get to pop setting. dark button for pop on,quiet button for pop off I believe.
    Last edited by Freebird; 09-17-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Use menu button to get to pop setting. dark button for pop on,quiet button for pop off I believe.
    ok also why do you suggest POP off? and what exactly is it?

Power User

Pop is used very rarely with only specific radar guns. ka 33.8 MHP guns and some k-band guns. It is more likely you would get hit with lightning on a sunny day than pop. Pop on also causes more false alerts. Since it is not seen as a threat, and it causes falses, we all turn it off. Michael B the Whistler rep here on the board also advises turn it off for these reasons.

Michael B explains them as

PULSE has nothing to do with POP

POP is a brief RF transmission

PULSE is a very strong RF transmission regardless of length.

The PULSE Alert can only happen when POP is ON and the unit receives a VERY STRONG signal.

PULSE Alerts are disabled when POP is OFF

If I turned on a radar gun for 5 seconds at a close distance, it it not POP because the duration was too long, however it is what we consider being PULSED as you are most likely the target being so close to the radar source.
    Last edited by Freebird; 09-17-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Pop is used very rarely with only specific radar guns. ka 33.8 MHP guns and some k-band guns. It is more likely you would get hit with lightning on a sunny day than pop. Pop on also causes more false alerts. Since it is not seen as a threat, and it causes falses, we all turn it off. Michael B the Whistler rep here on the board also advises turn it off for these reasons.

Michael B explains them as

PULSE has nothing to do with POP

POP is a brief RF transmission

PULSE is a very strong RF transmission regardless of length.

The PULSE Alert can only happen when POP is ON and the unit receives a VERY STRONG signal.

PULSE Alerts are disabled when POP is OFF

If I turned on a radar gun for 5 seconds at a close distance, it it not POP because the duration was too long, however it is what we consider being PULSED as you are most likely the target being so close to the radar source.
    Ok cool and does it matter if i have it mounted in the middle of the windshield or as high as possible?

Power User

Find a automatic door opener at a store and see which one works better.