Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Ford Excursion interior space

I have a Ford Excursion in which we travel all around the southwest.. I'll be travelling from Vegas to Boise soon.. We're in So Cal and AZ(speed nazis) alot..

Here are a few questions..

Does the interior space and layout of a vehicle affect a radar detectors performance?

Is it worth having a detector for such a large vehicle?

What's my best option for a detector for under $250..

Thanks everyone.. I'm looking forward to your replies..

Power User

Default Re: Ford Excursion interior space

Quote Originally Posted by william_04_x View Post
    I have a Ford Excursion in which we travel all around the southwest.. I'll be travelling from Vegas to Boise soon.. We're in So Cal and AZ(speed nazis) alot..

Here are a few questions..

Does the interior space and layout of a vehicle affect a radar detectors performance?

Is it worth having a detector for such a large vehicle?

What's my best option for a detector for under $250..

Thanks everyone.. I'm looking forward to your replies..
    The Excursion is a big vehicle. Yes it is going to be easier to lock it far away but a rd will still help. My dad has a ram mega cab and uses my v1 when he is on the road for a while.

Check the link in my signature for radar detector testing.

Radar Fanatic

Vehicle size will not effect RD performance. If laser is used a lot in your area (an increasing concern in many places), you need a top tier laser jammer for a vehicle of that size.

Good Citizen

I figured something is better than nothing.. The fact that it's 4 tons and red doesn't help anything..

Good driving habits have gotten me a long way.. I'd like some electronic piece of mind..

Power User

The weight doesn't have anything to do with it. Its just the Excursion is big all around, meaning it has a lot of area to reflect from.

Advanced Member

I am on my 3rd Excursion. I have had a Valentine 1 in all 3. Never had a problem. In some ways I think we have an advantage since we are up a lot higher then a car. I get excellent reception. My V1 is hard wired up by my visor, so its nice and high.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Good Citizen

3 Excursions and a V1 in them all? Nice!!

Any diesels?

Old Timer

Like the others here have said, your interior space/layout should not affect the detector's RADAR performance, as long as your factory and/or aftermarket window tinting isn't one of the ones that cause problems.

Given your vehicle's size, however, it does present some other interesting concerns:

- Yes, I'd mount the detector high. You're already a shoulder (at least ) higher than most average passenger vehicles on the road, so mounting high should allow you to even better take advantage of RADAR's propagation, and catch a signal from up ahead (or behind, for that matter).

- But this will trade-off for true-hit LIDAR detection...ELVATO has already shown us, with his previous-generation Ford Expedition, that there's a noticeable difference in his old x50's capability to capture a true LIDAR hit, when comparing the low-vs-mid-vs-high mounting scenarios, and aiming at center-mass.... Given your vehicle's similar or even worse beltline-to-greenhouse ratio, that effect might be exacerbated. However, at the same time, "scatter/reflection" or up-road detection of LIDAR use might, paradoxically, be even better, particularly as you have a V1. Some might see this scenario/trade-off differently, but given your vehicle's size, LIDAR hardpoint profile, as well as the paint scheme, I'd be more than willing to trade "true hit" detection for the chance of catching some up-road LIDAR use, no matter how slim the ratio, and thus, mount high.

- Rear-LIDAR detection may be cut to all but nil. Given the front-to-rear cabin length. Even with the V1.....

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by william_04_x View Post
    I figured something is better than nothing.
    Not really. If "something"gives you a false sense of security, that results in you getting pwn3d, then "nothing" would have been better. That is frequently the case with the lower end radar detectors.

The fact that it's 4 tons and red doesn't help anything..
    Doesn't really matter. If we can easily get speed readings on baseballs, then any car of any size is no challenge. The only difference size and colour make is in laser, which has nothing to do with radar detectors. Without a jammer, you're toast.

Good driving habits have gotten me a long way.. I'd like some electronic piece of mind..
    Again, it is extremely important that you buy actual peace of mind, and not a false sense of security. And to do that, you're going to have to up your budget. You're in the most difficult and challenging part of the US for a radar detector. Between the noise of SoCal and the mobile cameras of AZ, you need better than average protection.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Advanced Member

All 3 have been Black. 2 limited and the one I have now is an Eddie. I have always had V10 Gas. They have all been black in color with no chrome, not a fan of it. We had a Suburban but it just did not have enough room for the dogs and all the other crap that youu take on trips. I have the ZR3 Jammers which have worked but I have been lucky. I am taking the ZR3 out tomorw and putting in a LI laser jammer system @ the end of the month. I know how much you spend in gas so with that being said..Buy a great detecor. I have always recived great range. The only thing on the road that is higher then you is a Semi, so you always have a clean shot of what is in front of you with your Radar detecor.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum