Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default probably dumbest question yet?

all you experts no laughing please... what i want to know is for example can you wear out you RD by having it hard wired and say forgetting to turn it off and going to work at a supermarket were the automatic doors constantly set of K band and you leave it running for like 12 hrs ?will this stuff anything up?would it affect performance later on? and say its not during the day,so its nice and cool in the car,the RD hasn't been dropped or you vehicle doesn't short it out ,just beeping away on full alert with the mute button pressed will this harm it in anyway?

(besides someone seeing the flashing lights and stealing it)

Power User

hmm... I know when the RX65 is on for a long time it loses sensitivity but a constant alert shouldnt matter...maybee make it hotter...I dunno..jimo may have the answer

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    hmm... I know when the RX65 is on for a long time it loses sensitivity but a constant alert shouldnt matter...maybee make it hotter...I dunno..jimo may have the answer

you mean having it running(in perfect conditions) for to long would lose some sensitivity?but would that come back (after having it on for like 12 hours)say letting it rest turned off for a few hours?mmmmmm

anyone know the answers?

Power User

maybee the silicon is the problem....try a different polish and see..

Radar Fanatic

just by having it switched on your wearing it out, by having it detecting an alert you be wearing out the l.e.d.s, and possible the speaker..

of which can all be fixed, as for the case of it loosing sensitivity it probibly will but look at tv's, radios, cb's basicly anything which uses radio to receive signals.....

There is always somthing else which breaks on a tv like the tube! i've never heard of the superheterodyne receiver going..

proof is in old fashioned radios the only reason why they dont work is because they no longer transmit on vhf bands!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by laserblaster
    just by having it switched on your wearing it out, by having it detecting an alert you be wearing out the l.e.d.s, and possible the speaker..

of which can all be fixed, as for the case of it loosing sensitivity it probibly will but look at tv's, radios, cb's basicly anything which uses radio to receive signals.....

There is always somthing else which breaks on a tv like the tube! i've never heard of the superheterodyne receiver going..

proof is in old fashioned radios the only reason why they dont work is because they no longer transmit on vhf bands!
    thanks for this info as long as the RD is still able to pick up signals like it does now, i wont mind a bit of brightness or speaker quality going in the long run.

Professional

wouldn't your car battery die before the rd could be on for that amount of time? or become too low in voltage to keep it on?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    wouldn't your car battery die before the rd could be on for that amount of time? or become too low in voltage to keep it on?
    Probably not, an RD doesn't draw much current, compared to leaving your headlights on or somethign like that...

Jim

Good Citizen

Unless you've really goofed up somewhere, wouldn't hardwiring your detector actually make the detector shut off when you shut the car off?

My boyfriends detectors are hard wired into his car, and they shut off when he turns the car off.

Yoda of Radar

If you wire the detector to a constant 12v source, it will be on as long as power is supplied. If the source is switched to the key, then it will only be on when the key is in a certain position. If it is switched to a switch on the dash, likewise.

For example, cigarette lighters on some cars are not switched with the key, so if you tap into that it will be always on. On my car the lighter is switched with the key, so it turns on and off like it should.