So today I ran into a k-band mobile speed sign and decided to do a test. I had my v1, whistler 695 and pro 58. You will see a map at the end showing you where the speed sign was. The total length of the road was 1.2 miles with some small hills and a curve (I was coming from the curve).
The 695 had pop off, filter 1, x-band off and in highway mode.
it got 6/10 of a mile detection
Next I ran the pro 58, in highway mode
it got 6.3/10 of a mile detection, just a little more then the 695.
By the way both of the whistlers have been to mike B for repair/tuning. So I was kind is disappointed in the 695, I would have expected it to do better (maybe MikeB can chime in here and let me know if my results are accurate). So I decided to run the V1 next.
I rounded the curve at the end of the street and when it was basically straight the V1 detected the radar with 3 dots.
Detection distance was 1.1 miles, almost double the whistlers.
The hills did a very good job at attuning the radar signal (along with the radar pointing off axis), the whistlers basically did not detect it until it was line of sight. I wish I would have the the 955 or the 995 to test but the 955 is down and in need for service and the 995 is in my dad's car.
map - Google Maps