Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I/O

Default I/O

Hey guys,

i saw the word instant on on some threads and tried search button but could not find a good explanation of what it means.

Does that mean that a cop can do a very quick radar gun reading like how laser works where it is too fast that radar detector doesnt have time to detect it and it is too late once detected?

If that is possible, then why dont all cops do that, or do they need a special radar gun for this I/O?

Anyone in Quebec knows if cops there use I/O? I know they mostly use laser.

thanks

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Default Re: I/O

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDishMan View Post
    Hey guys,

i saw the word instant on on some threads and tried search button but could not find a good explanation of what it means.

Does that mean that a cop can do a very quick radar gun reading like how laser works where it is too fast that radar detector doesnt have time to detect it and it is too late once detected?

If that is possible, then why dont all cops do that, or do they need a special radar gun for this I/O?

Anyone in Quebec knows if cops there use I/O? I know they mostly use laser.

thanks
    Instant/On

The Gun is ready to fire and very quickly the LEO pulls the trigger (releases the hold) on the vehicle. You just want the I/O to be on one of the vehicles in front of you so your RD will detect it. Some Guns can handle a Q/T which is a very fast I/O that is usually not detected or so fast that there is not enough time to react.

Most of the members mentioning their newest tickets are due to I/O or Q/T.

It is like laser only in the way that the speed is very quickly calculated. The good thing about an I/O compared to Laser is you or your neighbors that have decent RDs may detect the I/O where laser is 99.999% of the time only going to alert the vehicle that was hit with it.

I/O or "Instant on" means we as LEO's don't activate our radars or lasers until we have an intended target. Usually we see a vehicle that is going faster then others and target that one.

The method of blasting a bunch of cars with the Radar so the gun and pick the highest speed is oldschool and not very practical.

Drive safe.

F

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    I/O or "Instant on" means we as LEO's don't activate our radars or lasers until we have an intended target. Usually we see a vehicle that is going faster then others and target that one.

The method of blasting a bunch of cars with the Radar so the gun and pick the highest speed is oldschool and not very practical.

Drive safe.

F
    Practical for revenue? No.
    Practical for getting people to slow down? Yes.

Yoda of Radar

I/O is used by LEOs to defeat RDs, period. A radar gun that is not actively transmitting cannot be detected. The only way to beat this tactic is to detect the LEO's radar checking the speed of someone else, before you reach the target zone. This is why choosing a RD with maximum sensitivity is a must.

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

i repeat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    i/o is used by leos to defeat rds, period. this is why choosing a rd with maximum sensitivity is a must.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDishMan View Post
    It's not always practical. In the western deserts, it's used about half the time, and nearly always from a parked LEO. Most rolling patrol vehicles use constant on, at least out west. Probably just out of habit or they don't want to be bothered with I/O triggering while they are driving. In some busy areas, it is not practical due to the sheer volume of cars.

Case in point about 2 weeks ago I was driving in Nevada and encountered 2 patrol vehicles, opposite direction spaced about a mile apart. The first one had constant on. His follow on buddy was using I/O, and I detected him 4 cars ahead, and heard each burst as he got closer, till finally it was 'my turn'. I had probably a mile warning, and luckily a few cars ahead of me, spaced about 1/4 mile apart.

Lead Foot

Here in Utah I/O seems to be getting more popular. I have been hit with I/O several times lately. My wife had an undercover black charger race up behind her at a high rate of speed yesterday and hit her with I/O from behind!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by stealthfz1 View Post
    Here in Utah I/O seems to be getting more popular. I have been hit with I/O several times lately. My wife had an undercover black charger race up behind her at a high rate of speed yesterday and hit her with I/O from behind!
    Here in Utah? Wow, I thought I was the only one on this forum who romps here.
    Yeah, I don't speed "in town" on the interstate. Thanks for the heads up on black Chargers - not encountered those yet. (fyi - working in Utah, living in California which means a lot of driving I-80 between my real home and temporary home in Utah). It also gives me a huge amount of road time using the detector at max advantage.
    Last edited by OpenRoad; 12-06-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Lead Foot

Watch for the charger between Cedar City and St George. Specifically around the rest area south of Cedar City about 12 miles.