Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windshields that limit detector range

My Valentine v1.8 user manual states that certain windshields such as those on the Chevrolet Venture minivan greatly reduce detection range, due to a metallic film or solar barrier. Since I might be in the market for a new vehicle, (such as a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler van), I called the Valentine toll free number to get an updated list of vehicles on the "windshield problem" list, but they said they don't have an updated list. Does anyone keep such a list?

On the Ohio roads, I get an X-band warning only when I already see the patrol car. To have a sporting chance, it would help to get warnings when the patrol is blasting other cars ahead of mine with the instant-on X-band.

For those who are stuck with a "problem windshield". is there anything that can be done about it? I presume it wouldn't make any difference to get another detector to replace the Valentine v1.8. Replacing the windshield would not be an attractive alternative. What about problems with remotely mounted detectors, aside from the added expense?

:?:

Radar Fanatic

If you really are stuck with a "problem windshield" then a remote is really the only way to go. Even though their performance is limited due to low antenna location it will be significantly better than a regular detector behind a metal film.

I think that you can tell bad winshields apart by their color. Have you ever seen cars driving down the road that have sort of off-color tint (red to purple or gold)? That's what they look like. It's caused by a very thin metallic film that's used as a heating element. If the windshield looks like normal glass I think it should be OK.

Experienced

Or you could just replace the windshield (provided it has the metal film) you have at a local autoglass place. It costs usually about $200.

Newcomer

How about the rear antenna (V1) with a pickup w/ a cap on the back? Will it go through the cap windows providing they are clean? or am I up a creek with out a paddle?

Thanks in advance for any input. Chris

Default Problem windshields

Thanks for the quick responses. I reread a detailed specifications book, and the Chevy Venture definitely has a metalized coating on the windshield which is touted to keep the vehicle cooler on a hot sunny day. It also has an embedded radio antenna, but that does not span across the entire width of the upper windshield, so the antenna is not a problem.

Amazingly, the Valentine v1.8 responds to laser at the same instant as the Blinder M20, even though the Valentine is mounted behind very dark tint at the top of the windshield. So the main problem with the solar glass is that few early radar warnings can be given, based on other cars in front of me that are being shot with the instant-on X-band.

Good Citizen

I too would be interested in such a list....my Lexus has auto wipers...so I wonder if that windshiled has some funky thing on it too

Experienced

The only thing for you to do is to enclose the V1 into a housing with plexiglass (or something similar) in the front. Then buy a remote audio adapter and the concealed display, put the housing into the grille with the V1 front having a clear FOV and routing the remote audio adapter and the display to the cabin. You can turn the V1 on and off via the remote audio adapter. It´s a cost effective way to get around the problem.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by cjs180
    How about the rear antenna (V1) with a pickup w/ a cap on the back? Will it go through the cap windows providing they are clean? or am I up a creek with out a paddle?

Thanks in advance for any input. Chris
    Your cap is going to be a barrier more so than the windows. RF energy will not pass through the metal/fiberglass cap and very little (if any) will pass through the cap windows. Your rear detection is basically shot.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by pemarsh
    I too would be interested in such a list....my Lexus has auto wipers...so I wonder if that windshiled has some funky thing on it too
    You may want to check with Lexus to find out what type windshield you have and if it has any affect on radar reception.

Yoda of Radar

I am not certain that the Venture is such an animal with the solar barrier windshield.

The top speed of one is only 174km/h anyway so why do you need an RD?

I do KNOW the older "Dustbuster" GM vans had solar barrier windshields (first cars to have this) because the windshield was just so unbelieveably huge. Especially when compared to one of my 900's with this little curved sliver of glass, maybe weighs 2 pounds

The Venture is no longer produced, they gave it a Pinnochio treatment and it's now called the Uplander.