Newcomer

Default Question on radar guns and how they are used

Hi. I am new to this site. I am thinking about getting a radar detector but I have a concern. I will mainly be using it on highways and rural roads. In PA only state troopers can use radar guns and they are the ones that will be sitting on these roads.

Now I am not exactly sure how their guns work but if a cop is sitting on a rural road that has very little traffic, do they usually turn their gun off and only turn it on when they see a car coming or do they have it point down at the ground? Do they only send a signal when the cop pulls the trigger on it? I guess I am just worried that if it’s not a busy road that I will not pick up his signal because he is not using his gun very much. Thanks.

Professional

Default Re: Question on radar guns and how they are used

Radar gusn can be used in constant on mode which is pretty self explanatory but then the have instant on which is when the cop see a car he flips the unit on and gets the cars speed with out sending a signal before he turns the unit on. The way to combat this is to run with a rabbit(car about 1/2 to a 1mile ahead of you and you pick the signal up that is shot at him

Professional

Welcome,

Here in Pa i found that during the cold months they use a lot less instant on. Not saying they wont use it all together just saying it is not to common during the cold months (for what i seen).

Also i have seen that they use more constant on when there is more traffic on the road. When there is less cars they are more selective at who they shot at.

Look at some of my videos and you will see that if you have even the best detectors have a hard time picking up low powered instant on k-band.

Newcomer

Thanks for the replys, that’s exactly what I wanted to know. I typically drive close to the speed limit for the most part but sometimes I will just flat out haul ass and have fun it my car (02 Trans Am WS6). Usually when I am having fun there are no cars on the road to slow me down so I can’t really use a rabbit in these cases. In this situation a radar detector won’t help too much if the radar gun is on the “instant” mode, unless I fly by him fast enough that he doesn’t have time to flip it on. haha.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tom565 View Post
    Thanks for the replys, that’s exactly what I wanted to know. I typically drive close to the speed limit for the most part but sometimes I will just flat out haul ass and have fun it my car (02 Trans Am WS6). Usually when I am having fun there are no cars on the road to slow me down so I can’t really use a rabbit in these cases. In this situation a radar detector won’t help too much if the radar gun is on the “instant” mode, unless I fly by him fast enough that he doesn’t have time to flip it on. haha.
    Those cars are beautiful. I bet you love that LS1.