Radar Fanatic

Default most detectors have extended bandwidths!

There have been a few posts on the forum about if a radar falls out of frequency by 100mhz + - then it may be undetectable to the detector...

Well i've found out that this isnt so, even though the v1 manual lists 24.050 - 24.250 GHz (K band) it could have up to 500 mhz either way or may be more so even if the frequency went from 24.150ghz to 24.145 or 24.155 then the detector would pick it up....

and by the looks of it the v1 may have an extended bandwidth.

and that would be an extreme case of the radar going out by 0.5 ghz or 500mhz! i dont think this would be possible but if it is then your safe enough to detect it!

so i would have thought that all big detectors have theses extended bandwidths, because my snooper does, by 1000 mhz on x and k band!

so i soppose that rules out my theory of gatsos frequency being out!

Advanced Member

The big reason for the "Self Calibration" in the Belscorts is an attempt to eliminate the need to sweep a lot of this extra bandwidth, which is normally necessary to compensate for oscillator drift. That way, they are able to concentrate more on the actual frequencies of interest, resulting in higher sensitivity.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

could well be the reason why mine isnt picking up the gatsos very well?

even though it says 100 yards i'm sure if they programed it better it would be more sensitive!

in fact i would believe that most of the detector manufacturers have the capability of making their detectors pretty sensitive to photo radar,
    i think they know how to do it and they can do it, but they just arnt doing it!

i soppose its good that they do it but its also bad as it takes more time to scan and reduces sensitivity as you say.