Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ezpass ticket

Speed Demon

Default Ezpass ticket

I heard people using Ezpass have gotten tickets for speeding (not speeding through the booth, speeing on the Thruway). Any ideas or urban legend?

I thought some speed detection things are used for "statistical purposes only" that monitor the Ezpasses on some roads.

Advanced Member

I averaged 87mph between tolls once and still no ticket yet

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

Urban legend. I've heard a couple stories of people in toll booths telling drivers to slow down because their EZPass shows they made it 10 miles in 7 minutes or something like that, but I've never once heard of a ticket being mailed from them.

On top of that, would ANYONE use EZPass if it became EZTicket? Everyone would just sit in line and pay the tolls rather than have tickets mailed to them.

Speed Demon

I've also heard "random" drivers it happens to.

Heh, in PA I averaged about 110 between tolls. ;-)

Power User

Another case of people not understanding technology and spreading rumors, they probably got busted going to fast through the toll booth and that story snowballed into "THEY ARE MONITORING US", while yes I do feel we may have too much of BIG BROTHER, in this case I am happy to say that we do not have this problem.

If the government ever tried to use EZPASS against us, all we would have to do in court is cite divine intervention time warped you between tolls and that explains you getting there faster (seeing as now religion views are creeping into schools, next sex ed will teach that te storks bring the babies), just a rambling aside.

EDIT

Just for clarification just as EGOJ below explained, of coarse anyone can calc your average speed between tolls, they do mark at what time you used the tolls, as to protect you from faulty EZPASS debits (as a ability to audit the system), so knowing the time and distance equals average speed. But again they know the system would be unpopular if ever such a thing happened, NO one would use EZPASS and all that money building the dam thing would be flushed down the toilet.

Just watch out for troopers checking that your not sppeding through the toll, they do that, but that what your handy RD is there for, you should have lots of early warning.

The EZ-Pass authority here in NJ has stated that while this is a technology that they do have (average speed between tolls), it is not something they will use because it will make the system so unpopular. Besides, I go through at least a half-dozen EZ-Pass tolls every weekday, and I'm typically nowhere near the limit. I haven't gotten a ticket like that yet.

edit: Many EZ-Pass lanes do in fact directly monitor speed, however, typically using Ka band radar. I have not encountered these in the "high-speed" lanes, but only the regular 15mph lanes. This story by local news radio 1010 WINS back in September gives some interesting details. The radar, they say, typically tracks only those lanes next to "manned" toll lanes; nobody has gotten a ticket with that, yet, either. The EZ-Pass speed limits appear to be enforced only by state troopers actually at the scene.

Scratonicity Groupie

I've heard from several NJ residents that when the program first started there where tickets issued - however they where thrown out and that portion of the program was ended very quickly!

Lead Foot

I have never been ticketed for speeding using the EZ-Pass, but I also agree that if this started it would be the beginning of the end of EZ-Pass.
    I would also beleive for a state to issue tickets based on EZ-Pass the state would have to adopt that form of speed enforcement into the states laws of approved devices and also under go the same calibration requirements as other forms of speed enforcement equipment.

Good Citizen

The first ticket I ever get from EZ-Pass and that F'n thing is getting ripped off my windshield and thrown as far as I can throw it :twisted:

Speed Demon

Someone I know went through the booth too fast, what detected them? I never get radar hits when I go through.