Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default KA Traffic Drone. Irvine, CA

Tonight passing through Jeffrey in Irvine my V1 went off 2 KA bogeys upon passing I saw a LEO on the opposite side of the road with a customer.

After passing the LEO the Bogey become 1 and I'm still on the look for that other LEO to my surprise there is a traffic drone in a construction area as I came closer and closer the signal becomes stronger and I am surprised that this particular drone is transmitting KA, I thought they only transmit K band.

Thats a first for me. Can anyone confirm this. That traffic drones also transmit KA band.

Professional

Default Re: KA Traffic Drone. Irvine, CA

Very good chance the drone had drifted out of tune. Lots of those traffic drones are tuned...you know...never.

Yoda of Radar

My city has two mobile Ka band speed signs that they move all around the city. Here's a video I filmed against one of them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDcotnrzlwc]YouTube - 9500ci vs V1 1[/ame]

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bopbop View Post
    Tonight passing through Jeffrey in Irvine my V1 went off 2 KA bogeys upon passing I saw a LEO on the opposite side of the road with a customer.

After passing the LEO the Bogey become 1 and I'm still on the look for that other LEO to my surprise there is a traffic drone in a construction area as I came closer and closer the signal becomes stronger and I am surprised that this particular drone is transmitting KA, I thought they only transmit K band.

Thats a first for me. Can anyone confirm this. That traffic drones also transmit KA band.
    Jeffrey and what cross street? I live close ... I'm gonna go find it.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bopbop View Post

Jeffrey and what cross street? I live close ... I'm gonna go find it.
    right before Baranga and after Alton Parkway

Take the Jeffrey exit and heads towards East

Yoda of Radar

Obsidian, do you still own anything with spec display? I'd love to know if this sign is a Stalker or not.

Radar Fanatic

Sweet, I'm going to check it out. Felt like driving tonight anyway.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    Obsidian, do you still own anything with spec display? I'd love to know if this sign is a Stalker or not.
    I do ... the 8500 X50. I'll let you know if I can find it. I think I know the construction area he's talking about.

Radar Fanatic

So, I found this KA speed sign tonight and made multiple runs at it with the V1 and X50 ... with some interesting results. I tried to take some cell phone video but it predictably came out like crap.

Anyway, the X50 initially alerted to the sign 1.7 miles away at 34.754 and bounced back and forth between .754 and .786 until about .5 miles out when it solidified to 34.802 and stayed there. When I had my 9500ix, its spec mode and the X50 spec mode never matched exactly so take it for what it's worth.

The interesting results were:

1) The V1 and X50 (run separately of course) got the initial alert at almost exactly the same time ... and this is a V1 3.872 with Ka guard off. I'd say the V1 beat it very, very slightly. As you exit the freeway, there is an uphill bridge as you cross back over, and both detectors alerted right at the crest, 1.7 miles out. I'm very disappointed the super GOL killing 3.872 with Ka guard off did not smoke my ancient X50, but the bridge must have been the reason. I also made one run each from about 2.7 miles away, and again they both alerted only once I crested the bridge ... 1.7 miles out.

2) My V1, from the moment of initial alert all the way to the sign (and also from the rear), showed 2 bogeys ... WTF? Is that ghosting? I ran my X50 in Expert mode and it showed there was only one Ka signal there, and I only saw one sign. It has me wondering if it was because Ka guard was off ... and I didn't turn it on to check ... but still, very odd.

Too bad this sign is not permanent ... it's so perfect for testing detectors. Anyone in the area can exit the 405 South at Jeffrey and make a left (or a right from the 405 N) and your detector should start alerting almost instantly. Nice find bopbop.

Good Citizen

I have the same results, after passing the LEO I still have 2 front bogeys and when I came closer to the sign still 2 only when you passed it, it will disappear.

Maybe its ghosting?