Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rear facing radar... detector

How far apart do detectors need to be to avoid significant interference? I was thinking of putting my spare pro78se detector in the rear window to supplement the 9500ix in the front window. Think of it as a poor mans V1.

Would only need to use it on long trips though. Seems like having an OK quality detector facing rear would still be more sensitive than a good detector facing away and hoping for reflections. Would certainly need to do testing before actually speeding with that setup.
    Last edited by lastelement21; 02-23-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Rear facing radar... detector

You usually pick up a LEO coming up behind you with good detection due to the radar bouncing off objects out front. If your that concerned go with a CB. truckers are pretty good about letting others know when a LEO is coming up from behind

Ive got a scanner and cb too, its just an idea. Another layer of defense, heh.

Good Citizen

Bump. I've been contemplating about this as well. Although I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't cause interference.

Speed Demon

I have been running my 9500ix in the rear window of my F250 (Redline in the front) for the last 1000 miles or so, 800 highway and 200 town & country, and it has proven useful quite a few times. Nothing stellar, but useful.
    Mainly, if the 9500ix alerts weakly and the Redline is silent, I know for sure that the source is behind me, and if Redline alerts and the ix doesn't, then it is in front of me, and if both go off at the some time the LEO is right on top of me.
    I'm pretty sure that if a LEO was coming up behind me running C/O, that the Redline would go off long before he got close enough to get a speed reading, so the ix wouldn't really "save" me facing to the rear, and I think that the Redline would pick up I/O just fine under the same conditions.
    Since you asked the question, I'll swap them front to rear and re-evaluate.

Power User

V1 on the windshield, Bel STi-R on the rear, and 9500ix in the grill.

Radar Fanatic

Why don't you sell both of them, get a V1 and you're set.

I have 9500ix up front and it does in fact go off when they are behind you. It actually saved me recently. I was driving on the highway at 3am. Out of nowhere I get an instant full alert that scared the crap out of me. I slowed down and looked but seen nothing. Then a min later im getting another alert but i still see nothing. Then i look in my rear view and sure enough hes stalking me way back behind me. Eventually he gave up I guess and passed me. Still its alerted to cops from behind a few times. I guess it depends on the area you drive.

I decided they would probably still be too close together, and would still interfere. If I did a lot more highway driving I would get the v1.

Speed Demon

They're still going to interfere, as an experiment I tried placing my RX65 as far away from my V1 as I could get it (which means the trunk) and I still got the occasional false. I would recommend getting a V1 if you want true rear protection or invest in a remote unit a others have suggested.