Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Power User

Default So, how deep can you go...

I was just talking to another forum member who is pretty "into" the CM deal and was wondering about where to go once you have the "ideal" setup.

I guess the state-of-the-art RD setup is a V1 with an M3 remote. LI or blinder 4 head for laser, CB radio with a linear amp and a scanner. I guess a digital trunking scanner would be THE BEST but god, programming is almost another hobby unto itself... Then you have the VEIL, plate covers, Cheetah mirror or other GPS RL cam. alert. Different versions of Trapster on GPS and phones. I know some guys run cell jammers and such... Plus FLIR...

So what else is out there other than waiting on the next best RD/JMR?

Banned

Default Re: So, how deep can you go...

If I can reasonably cover 99% of all encounters its enough for me. This isn't my hobby per se, but rather something fun which enables me to enjoy my real hobby. The point at which I'm spending far more than even a large ticket would cost me... I'd have a hard time considering that being smart about this stuff. There's a point of diminishing returns where it gets exponentially more expensive to gain an additional percent or fraction of a percent of protection. Not knocking anyone in that situation, for them its a hobby, and hobbies generally cost more than you'll get out of them, money-wise. To each his own.

Newcomer

I really wish I had the time/money to buy some serious toys, like a redline and LI countermeasures. But my 8500 refurb has done me very well, and coupled with my scanner, cb and trapster, I have a well rounded arsenal for my regular indulgence in 10 over PSL cruising.

Power User

Well, I'm a motorhead from waaay back I used to turn my own wrenches and often got into the "heavy" stuff like engine/trans rebuilds, serious body work. I've changed out quarter panels, rebuilt auto and manual transmissions, even set up a few ring/pinions in rear ends... Degreed cams, etc.

I guess I still have a passion for cars but haven't got into much FI stuff so the world has kind of passed me by. I guess this is just an extension of that stuff.

I remember back when a 13 sec. street car was quick but now you can buy one off the showroom floor that'll do that AND get 20mpg...

Oh well, it's a hobby...

Radar Fanatic

As long as the RLC don't increase in my area, they don't introduce SC's and the locals don't use LIDAR on anything but a highway I'm covered now. It's be very expensive outfitting two vehicles with laser jammers.

Speed Demon

Plan A: Valentine 1, 9500ci, Cheetah C100/V1 Interface, Quad HP LI, Trapster, Scanner, CB, Legal Immunity.

Plan B: Helicopter.

Power User

Professional

How about packing a couple of HARM anti-radar missiles under the hood? I'd never endorse their use on LEOs, but those mobile, unmanned speed camera trucks could use a detailing job.

Newcomer

For GA/FL/TN/carolinas at least ive found that cb radios are pointless. They are however a great way to ensure your children learn some new words (and you too). I've had major laughs but nothing relating to enforcement.

Scanners, again. Metro atl uses encrypted digital so you are sol. They also almost exclusive chat via the CAD system. Even if you catch wind of somebody radioing something, it will likely be mumbled in "code" - 809 mm12 vilheim traffic and it really doesn't help you at all. Most of the time it isn't really even radioed as assignments are handled beginning of shift.

Veil.. well.. i guess usefull if you have those huge truck chrome lights. But since it is a type of tint, you are sacrificing light output which to me is an absolute no since it is important to me to see - but it works for others. You are way better off opening up the lights and painting the unneeded chrome flat black (like i've done to the grill and lights). That will choke any laser signal quite effectively.

Cheetah.. pointless for the entire state of GA or most of the south really. We have what, 3 rl cameras in atlanta and they are all well marked and visible. I hear it was really designed with AZ CA and WA in mind, where they have speed cameras and other nasties

Plate covers.. GA FL TN + more states do not have front plates. If you are worried about rear laser hits, those are non existant here. GSP will only shoot KA in the back, not laser. They shoot laser exclusively @ the front. Also, there are legal hassles with those even if they are transparent with not hue. They were popular years ago as an ornament but then they began cracking at them. So right now, they are just a negative thing to have with 0 benefit really. From my experience anyway. Only depts to really use laser in the metro are COBB, DEKALB, DORAVILLE (oh they love it), and ATLANTA PD around and a few miles from the 85/75 split. So what i am saying is, it is very highly geographically based.

GPS trap alerts.. The problem with these is that there is no way for it to know which are active and which are not. If you look at trap lists, and actually map them, then quite frankly everywhere you go will be a trap, so why even bother speeding then. You know....

So if you drive in GA then you only really need a good RD. If you drive in the metro, you might need a good laser diffuser.

If you travel all over the US then obviously you will need everything but if that is the case, there wouldn't be a question of what to get; you just get it all.

And never underestimate the power of a good set of eyes. I've beaten laser from a mile by seeing him parked under a bridge while he was reaiming (they have to visually see you and then clock per ga law. other states may vary). 5 seconds later i got the alert.
    Last edited by gyrate; 02-24-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    As long as the RLC don't increase in my area, they don't introduce SC's and the locals don't use LIDAR on anything but a highway I'm covered now. It's be very expensive outfitting two vehicles with laser jammers.
    I'm in the same boat, except that lidar is 100% illegal here. There's nothing else I can really add because they just aren't using all the latest technology. The exception is their unscannable, encrypted digital radio system which explains why I don't have a scanner. I could run the real Trapster app, but I'm on my girlfriend's phone plan for a very cheap rate but with no data.