Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13

    Default First Roadtrip with my 8500 X50

    I suppose you could say the "jury is still out". It has been a long time since I have owned an RD, and after researching here, I bought an escort 8500 X50. (wife works at best buy and gets a HUGE discount on them). The 8500 was the only "top three" model that they carried.

    We left out friday night. trip was from Southn NC to Roanoke Va.

    Saw only one NC trooper, had someone pulled over already, no alert. The only alert I got in Va was when we had stopped to get gas. We were under I-77, sitting under the overpass at a red light when I got a Ka Alert. never saw the trooper, my guess was he was going southbound over the bridge. Never had visual on any Va troopers.

    Return trip- No confirmabe alerts. had 3 POPs. One in va and 2 in NC nearly back to back. After the 2 consecutive pops I did see a NC trooper on an exit ramp behind a towtruck about a mile down the road. He did not apear to be running radar.

    So. not sre I trust this thing or not, lol.

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    ATLANTA. Im never leaving.
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    the POP falses can be excessive in the x50, thats why i turned it off on mine. just wait till you get a legit LEO running radar, youll trust it

  3. #3
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    trust me when i tell you this,

    you saved a couple bucks with the discount,
    there are no discounts on speeding tickets....(make sure u know what they are using in your area and if ur properly protected.) maybe the leo u saw pulled over was using laser and if so your rd would not have worked.

    ps-arent rd's illegal in VA, careful before u get spectreIZED(the radar detector detector) cause i know that x50's sets off the spectre siren pretty easily.

  4. #4
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13

    Default

    I live in Nc

    I do however know that MOST VA troopers use VG-2. There are (as far as I know) 9 Spectre III units in opeartion in Va, one for each troop. (9).

    I do most of my driving in NC where they are legal anyways.

    I would assue that the troopers i saw on the side with people pulled over were usig instant on, or switched off their units. I have arely seen laser used in NC/VA i the areas I travel.

    I do know that NC and VA are vascar whores. Both states LOVE vascar. But I find the use of vascar at night (all my driving was done at night) unlikely. I also find the use of laser at night in sub freezing temps unlikely as well.

  5. #5
    Power User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Borsig
    I live in Nc

    I do however know that MOST VA troopers use VG-2. There are (as far as I know) 9 Spectre III units in opeartion in Va, one for each troop. (9).

    I do most of my driving in NC where they are legal anyways.

    I would assue that the troopers i saw on the side with people pulled over were usig instant on, or switched off their units. I have arely seen laser used in NC/VA i the areas I travel.

    I do know that NC and VA are vascar whores. Both states LOVE vascar. But I find the use of vascar at night (all my driving was done at night) unlikely. I also find the use of laser at night in sub freezing temps unlikely as well.
    The Virginia State police currently DO NOT have Spectre units. There are post about this in the VG2/Spectre section.

  6. #6
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13

    Default

    k I thought one of the site admins said they had 9 , one for each troop.

    Either way, im not too worried about it

  7. #7
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    the POP falses can be excessive in the x50, thats why i turned it off on mine.
    Agreed...

    Other drivers probably had Cobra RDs and set off your POP.

    Stupid Cobra :roll:

  8. #8
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    95

    Default

    I would be in favor of a cobra RD ban.

  9. #9
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I can relate. I got an RX 65 a few days ago and I have yet to pass a cop. I drove a 60 mile trip today on a road which is normally heavily enforced. Nada, zip, nope, uh-uh, no cops. Sigh....

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    ATLANTA. Im never leaving.
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crabman
    I can relate. I got an RX 65 a few days ago and I have yet to pass a cop. I drove a 60 mile trip today on a road which is normally heavily enforced. Nada, zip, nope, uh-uh, no cops. Sigh....
    like i told sombody one time, just turn off your detector and then speed 10-15 over, ill gaurentee youll run into one

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Another guy planning a roadtrip
    By STI_Boy in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
  2. Going on a roadtrip!
    By aTeam in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM
  3. New V955 on Roadtrip
    By Paperlantern in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
  4. GOL, roadtrip, STI and Escort
    By RacerX in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-02-2006, 06:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •