Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default When does a radar detector work best?

In a weather aspect. Do things like temperature, humidity, clouds, sun, etc have noticeable affects on radar detectors as far as range goes?

Advanced Member

Default Re: When does a radar detector work best?

As far as RADAR detection goes, I would think humidity would be the only factor that would effect detection range along with rain (100% humidity!). The sun would effect the laser detection portion. Although, thinking while typing, rain and humidity might cause some laser scatter... What do yall think?
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Professional

I vaguely remember reading a post where they exposed the V1 to greater temperature and it didnt do as well as what it would have done if it was cooler. I make sure one of my AC vents are pointed up towards the V1, Since most of the time the V1 is the only passenger in the SUV, so i think it deserves some cool air during the texas heat.

Power User

On cool, clear nights my V1 seems a little hotter. If it's true then LEO guns are also better

Professional

I am sure that a clear night would be the best performance on a flat surface. Fog would definitely cause scatter IMO. Rain I don't think would cause any difference in rain but laser might be affected. Snow I would think that there would be more reflection so better detection

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    On cool, clear nights my V1 seems a little hotter. If it's true then LEO guns are also better
    I pass the same K-band drone every day. There's a hill that blocks it and I always pick it up near the same spot climbing the hill, but sometimes I get short blips before that.

My absolute best ranges detecting it came when it was freezing outside, near 20 degrees or so. I would get short blips about 1.5 miles away, when I sometimes don't pick it up at all until I'm climbing the hill and am 0.6 miles away. That never happened when it was remotely comfortable outside.

I don't know if it was because of the atmospheric conditions, or if the V1 was being kept cooler by the nearby freezing windshield, but that's what I've seen.

Newcomer

a radar detector usually works best when it's turned on. except for cobras which work the same whether on or off.

Radar Fanatic

% humidity is a good question.

Awhile back I posted some alert distances w/ my then new 9500i which were pretty impressive. A couple of senior members attributed it to high humidity in my area.

Now just recently another senior member posted impressive alert times and attributed it to low humidity to which several members agreed.

Lead Foot

Sometimes with an off axis K band (CVS store) my Redline and V1 don't pick it up, and then sometimes they do.

This normally happens when I'm leaving my home, and driving past the store. The store sits caddy corner in a south east direction. However, when I'm driving home (direction west) well before I get to the store, they both always alert. I run them separately.

This is the only store I've noticed this happening with. Kind of strange. Both RD's are new and work like they are suppose to.

Newcomer

mine has done the same. I can drive past a store with a K-band door opener and it will go off and coming back the opposite way it won't. I usually drive past a new medical center that has K-band doors and it goes off a few hundred feet away. well one day it went off at the red light i was sitting at which is approx. 1/8th mile from the building and 90* from the door facing..hasn't done it since.
    Last edited by cclt1z; 04-02-2010 at 11:49 PM.