Good Citizen

Default Build your own radar detector...

If you were to build your own radar detector what would you do/use?
    Would you use the housings of models already produced or make your own housing/detector shell?

What kind of hardware would you use, modify existing detector hardware/boards/recievers or make your own or use aftermarket items?

I'm currently contemplating making my own, I have a friend who is a physics teacher and he would jump on this in a heartbeat because it would be such a challenge to him. But what do you guys think about making your own detector.

If I had a grand I wanted to blow on making my own detector, or 1500 say, what could I build reasonably and reliably for awesome performance. Detector only, no jamming, and laser and radar detection. I also wouldnt mind having something that Dr. Jimbonzz displayed in one of his posts that could fool a gun to display a certain speed. Wouldnt mind having that capability either, just wondering if its legal or not???

Advanced Member

Certainly not a trivial task, and you couldn't get anything even close to the performance of existing retail detectors without some major $$$ invested. Just the test equipment necessary to adequately design and test such circuits would cost you in the tens of thousands of dollars. With some work, you could possibly copy an existing design outright, but what would be the point of that?

But, if you want to just build something that works for the fun of it and to learn, that could be done, especially if size isn't an issue, since you could use such things such as parabolic dishes to get a lot of gain. Maybe check out some of the ham transceivers for 10 and 24 GHz for a starting point...

Jim

Good Citizen

You're probably right Jimbonzzz. I may be better off doing what some of the V1 guys do, and just get a V1 and invest 1000.00 into it, that might be money better spent, than try to build my own. I don't have money to burn per se, but having a ultra-performance detector, to me, is money very well spent.