Newcomer

Default Hello to everyone from a "newbie" and a Radar/La

Hello everyone!

I’m a “newbie” here and this is my very first post. I’d like to begin by saying a warm hello to all members and give a brief background info (and follow-up with a question that possibly only a “newbie” could ask! )

Ok to begin with, I’m a “40 something” baby-boomer with a serious liking for “technology.” I’m sure I’m not alone here! I’ve also had my share of tickets over the years and one thing for sure; they do cost and come about at the most unexpected times.

I’d like to say in my defense though, 99% of my speeding tickets were issued for only 10 mph over the posted limit; in other words, I do “speed” at times but, not in a way that poses a serious risk to fellow travelers. I should also state that during my U.S. Army days while stationed in what was then called West Germany, I qualified for German drivers license and had the occasion also to take a “general” counter-terrorist driving course (long but boring story so, I’ll spare y’all.) I like to think that I am somewhat informed about driving in general and I also exercise reasonable amount of caution while driving.

Over the years, I’ve had my “moments” where I have “seriously” exceeded posted speed limits but, I have done so only at times and locations where risk to others seemed much reduced and only very infrequently and as importantly, only with vehicles able/designed for such use.

Driving aside, my main hobbies include music (composing/performing; am a professional musician) and computers (I’m a computer tech who mainly seems to exist to “resolve” computer related problems for friends/family and for free of course!) I have numerous other hobbies as well and collecting (the “collection” if one can call it that, vary from year-to-year) as well as “tinkering” with cars is the main girlfriend “upsetting” hobby of them all. I also have another girlfriend “annoying” hobby and that is reading! I should say that not so much that I read, upsets my girlfriend but, the fact that every room in our well-cramped house is filled with books that does; especially when she knocks over a stack of books by tripping over them in the dark, etc.! I also like to collect and specially restore antiques and old “orphans” (old radios, turntables, mechanical devices, clocks and even old computers at times fall into this “orphan” category.)

Currently, I am “tinkering” with a few of my “babies” (no exotics or well-built hot-rods here folks; only a few “aged” imports) and for specific reasons:

a. I’m in the process of re-working the electrical system in two of my Mercedes 300TD station wagons (both 1979 models and both getting “long in tooth.”) I have purchased a heavy-duty inverters so that I can set-up my musical gear (keyboard/workstations, guitars, misc. amp, effects processors, robotic lights, etc) at locations without power. By the way, the primary of the two has over 600,000 miles on its ageing 5 cylinder diesel engine and the secondary/back-up unit has only 242,000 miles - just a "baby - and both run very well (knock-on-wood; I’m tapping on my own head as I type these words!) A generator would of course be the easiest thing to do but, space is premium as I’ve got extensive musical gear and heavy-inverters seem to offer the best, space-saving solution.
    b. I’m also in the process of installing a pc in my main (daily) vehicle; another old Mercedes (a 1988 420sel) and wanted to take the occasion to also come up with a working solution to the radar/laser “problem!”

Basically, over the years, many times I thought of doing “something” about the radar/laser issue. For a number of reasons I have repeatedly put off doing anything about it; either simply because I didn’t have the “disposable” funds or I just could not be sure that what I ended up purchasing would actually work!

Well, now it seems many people out there has had a chance to deal with the issue and I feel comfortable myself, getting on the laser/radar bandwagon, providing I get some tips/help from the good folks with some experience on the topic.

So, I guess I’d like to ask my very first somewhat involved question. The first part of my question is: what would be a fairly effective radar and laser jammer/detector solution set-up? (What would be the ideal, “no-holds barred” set-up and what would be a middle-of-the-road set-up?) Can anyone recommend some up-to-date websites that particularly address this “what combination to use” issue? The second part of my question is: I know from my limited research that there seems to be at least a few very effective laser jammers available, in contrast are there any working radar jammers at all? Or would I just be wasting my money. At least one website I stumbled on earlier tonight stated that there was no such thing as an actual working radar jammer!

I do not know much about the jammer/detector issue and thought off-hand that I would probably need a combination of detector(s) and jammers. Am I correct in my assumption?

By the way, another question comes to mind; should I be concerned with excessive vehicle electrical loads resulting from addition of such gear(s)? Has anyone had “negative” experiences resulting from electrical system overloading that they’d care to share? (Off-hand, I think the easiest remedy would of course be purchasing a “heavier” after-market alternator…) And can the sensors (i.e., laser jammer sensors) be placed behind something like an old Mercedes grill and still be effective? Or do they have to be fully “exposed” to be effective?

Thank you all for reading this far into my post and I look forward to sharing my experiences and opinions in your forum. Please feel free to ask me any computer or music related questions you may have, if I know the answer, I will share it.

M from Mid-west.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Hello to everyone from a "newbie" and a Rada

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes
    So, I guess I’d like to ask my very first somewhat involved question. The first part of my question is: what would be a fairly effective radar and laser jammer/detector solution set-up? (What would be the ideal, “no-holds barred” set-up and what would be a middle-of-the-road set-up?) Can anyone recommend some up-to-date websites that particularly address this “what combination to use” issue?
    There are many solid Laser jammer/RD combos...
    The x50 actually interfaces (links) directly with the ZR3 shifter which provides a good combo...however:

You cant go wrong mix-n-matching
    Any of the Top 3 detectors: The RX65, x50, V1

Mixed with any of the following high quality jammers: Blinder, ZR3, Lidatek, Bel 905 (all of which you can buy/find from Roy in the following link) http://www.radarbusters.com/products...rs/default.asp

Roy will only sell stuff that actually works so dont worry about that, but a lot of people really like any set up of the Blinder (20/40) Jammer so it is very popular.

-Remember that Jammer Lider is an extremely tough thing to do, and even with a RD and Jammer such as the blinder it is completely possible to get a ticket.... they help, but you must drive smart and understand you aren't invinicble.

(Veil and Lasershield always help too)

The second part of my question is: I know from my limited research that there seems to be at least a few very effective laser jammers available, in contrast are there any working radar jammers at all? Or would I just be wasting my money. At least one website I stumbled on earlier tonight stated that there was no such thing as an actual working radar jammer!
    No that is not true 'Scorpion active jammer' systems actually work and are rather effective at jamming police radar, but mind you they are also very illegal (well actually that depends on where you live) so not very many people have/use them, because if they are ever caught with them. There are no PASSIVE radar jammers known to work, however active Jammers such as the Scorpion do work. Again if you are in the states they are for all intent illegal.

I do not know much about the jammer/detector issue and thought off-hand that I would probably need a combination of detector(s) and jammers. Am I correct in my assumption?
    No not really a lot of people have multiple sets on this website just because well....we cant get enough of them, we love testing out new products and trying to step up our protection another level..

But you could easily have just one laser jammer and on RD and it would do the job completely for you (You really dont want 2 or more laser jammers or 2 or more RD's in use in the same car at once...it can actually decrease performance.)

By the way, another question comes to mind; should I be concerned with excessive vehicle electrical loads resulting from addition of such gear(s)? Has anyone had “negative” experiences resulting from electrical system overloading that they’d care to share? (Off-hand, I think the easiest remedy would of course be purchasing a “heavier” after-market alternator…)
    No they run off minimal (very minimal) current draw,

And can the sensors (i.e., laser jammer sensors) be placed behind something like an old Mercedes grill and still be effective? Or do they have to be fully “exposed” to be effective?
    The heads of the laserjammer should be right there in the open...trust me they can be installed very discretely, and this will give the best performance (jamming LIDAR guns is tough as it is no need to make it harder to the jammer).

Power User

Welcome to the forum m8...now we know everything but the colour of your underpants!!! haha

Most of the answers have been answered for ya...

Just knuckle down, grab a beer and READ!!!! yo9ur eyes will hurt but your answer will be found

Cheers

Stalker

Newcomer

Default Thank you for the very informative response and Happy New Ye

Happy New Years!

Thank you for the very informative response and by the way, I did get pretty verbose on my "bio" I suppose, eh?

Happy New Years to all and I look forward to participating on this forum.

M from mid-west (just in case "Big Brother" is watching... haha)

By the way, "kosher" or not, if there's an active radar jammer out there, ya betcha I will install it.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Thank you for the very informative response and Happy Ne

Happy New Years!

Thank you for the very informative response and by the way, I did get pretty verbose on my "bio" I suppose, eh?

Happy New Years to all and I look forward to participating on this forum.

M from mid-west (just in case "Big Brother" is watching... haha)

By the way, "kosher" or not, if there's an active radar jammer out there, ya betcha I will install it.
    Nawwwwww I think you are pretty safe from big brother. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your RD.