Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Which would be better to get first, a Radar Detector or Laser Jammer?

I dont live in a big city with a lot of traffic cameras and mainly commute on I-95 and I-16 around Georgia. Would i benefit initially more from a radar detector or laser jammer? Looking in the end to get both, but have to pick one first then save for the other.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Which would be better to get first, a Radar Detector or Laser Jammer?

Most people go for the RD first.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Which would be better to get first, a Radar Detector or Laser Jammer?

Quote Originally Posted by KG14 View Post
    I dont live in a big city with a lot of traffic cameras and mainly commute on I-95 and I-16 around Georgia. Would i benefit initially more from a radar detector or laser jammer? Looking in the end to get both, but have to pick one first then save for the other.
    The RD is a basic CM tool and really helps with situational awareness. And, it's likely to give information in a variety of situations. It's definitely helped me increased my awareness.

That said, if you've got a lot of laser going on where you live, make the jammer your next purchase, front and rear.

If there was only laser, then the laser countermeasure would be first, but I've never heard of this.

MH

Newcomer

I got a v1 first because I'd like to know how prevalent laser is where I am before deciding if my driving habits warrant jammers.
    I've had one laser hit in the week I've had my RD. It was in a complex interchange on a bridge, where the LEO was I have no idea. By the time I figured out that it was a laser hit, it was over and I didn't catch where it came from.
    I need a few more laser hits to convince me that jammers are worth the investment.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by ghause View Post
    I got a v1 first because I'd like to know how prevalent laser is where I am before deciding if my driving habits warrant jammers.
    investment.
    Perfect, increasing situational awareness and learning about the area I drive should tell me what CM's I need. I'll go with the RD first and keep a log of what I'm running into most and where. Thanks guys

RD because most tickets are still radar, not lidar.

Advanced Member

X4. A great RD for distance and I/O (instant-on) radar in GA. I was in Atlanta last year with a 1994 V1 and it did not pick-up the latest versions of laser at all so I traded the old unit in and got a new unit. Without a laser jammer, do try to have a rabbit up front for the hit or hide in traffic so you have a chance of picking up a stray reflection of light. And for radar, I remember that I do not want to be the strongest signal or the fastest signal for a Leo to nail me, I hide in traffic if I can because I/O scares the crap out-of-me. Happy RDin'....

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by chessguy View Post
    RD because most tickets are still radar, not lidar.
    Depends on the area really.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by ghause View Post
    I need a few more laser hits to convince me that jammers are worth the investment.
    I hope you're driving the PSL during this "testing" period...

Unfortunately, if you do that, you won't know how many laser hits you'll get when you start exceeding the PSL, which is what really matters.

Good Citizen

definitely an rd. what is your budget?
    Last edited by blackgto06; 05-24-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: grammar