Default bel 980 just turns on and beeps constantly?

My brothers bel 980 all of a sudden just beeps constantly. If you turn it on it just starts beeping. Is this a problem with these detectors or is this one just messed up? Thanks

Radar Fanatic

Sounds like it's broken. It shouldn't alert unless there is some kind of radar source nearby.

Power User

Default Re: bel 980 just turns on and beeps constantly?

Quote Originally Posted by RynoThePirate
    My brothers bel 980 all of a sudden just beeps constantly. If you turn it on it just starts beeping. Is this a problem with these detectors or is this one just messed up? Thanks
    Could be out of calibration, or there is a YOUR SPEED IS unit in the area you do not know about, the same jsut happened to me all this past week, I just found the dam SPEED MEASURMENT unit tonight, I was starting to doubt my 985 untill I found the source tonight. Someone posted instruction on how to open up ones RD and recalibrate their unit. The only problem is your kind of blind calibrating the unit unless you have a known source and known freq to work with inorder to calibrat properly. But better than nothing.

Newcomer

Default Bel reliability

Not for nothing but I have a buddy and his brother who between the two of them went through 3 Bel detectors back in the early 90's.

They all just stopped working for no reason after about 2-3 years. They weren't left in the car, they were not dropped, in fact they were well cared for (because they were expensive). That experience led them to avoid the Bel stuff because they feel the durability isn't (or at least wasn't back then) up to par. They both loved them as detectors though...

They now use Whistlers due to being less expensive and being more durable, they feel.

Just wanted to share that.

I personally just got the Bel E795 and so far am still evaluating it. After a week I still haven't made up my mind about it yet.