Advanced Member
    Santa Cruz California

Default Utah Highway Patrol in construction zone

I was going to post this in local area, but this can happen anywhere.

They are doing a bunch of major construction on I-15 in Utah, and long stretches where the PSL is 55. Everyone is doing minimum 65, up to 75.

So I'm driving home from work, all 3 lanes moving about the same speed - due to congestion they are doing 55-60. A UHP cruiser is running C/O Ka about 100 yards ahead of me. I'm in the same lane, going the same speed, maybe 60 for a few miles.

He then turns off his radar for a mile, then back on, and pulls the guy over just ahead of him. At most he was doing 60 during a lane change - probably did not notice the cop behind him. This guy was basically going the same speed as the rest of the crowd. I think this was the LEO picking one out of the crowd, in a 55 construction zone.

Certainly it could have been for something else, but since he blasted the radar back on, and 15 seconds later lite the guy up - I figured he was just the unlucky one in the group - all going over PSL.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Good Citizen
    Athens GA

Default Re: Utah Highway Patrol in construction zone

sucks for that guy.

I'm always a bit amused in construction zones... I will pass several cars while running 20-24 over the PSL of say 70, these cars are doing at most 75ish.

When I get in the construction zone I slow to around 10 or so over PSL of let's say 55. I slow to with 5 if the workers are actually present (because I believe that when workers are present is one of the only times speed limits actually have to with safety).

I am now traveling around 60-65 and all those cars I passed who were driving around 5 over earlier are flying by me at around 20 over the reduced construction speed limit.

I don't get it, 5 over on wide oped interstate, 20 over in construction zone with doubled fines.