Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Why are drones "FCC-compliant" or legal?

And being annoyed beyond belief on US 40 in N.C. by the k-drones interfering with my V1's reception of legitimate transmissions, I wonder when such interfering devices became approved by the regulatory authorities. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as why sporadic noisemakers are acceptable. Or are they bridge warning devices?

Bill

Advanced Member

they are not warning signals...just used k-band radar guns to set off detectors in hopes of users will begin to not listen to their detector.

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

i was actually reading about drones cuz I wasnt really too informed about drones so I read up on them. I saw on a website that Interstate 40 in North Carolina was a test place, and that they placed drones there in 2004-2005. I live in north carolina, but I dont travel on I-40. But now reading about those things, I think there might be one on I-85 cuz like on exit 76 I always get a X band. But I dont know.

Good Citizen

also to answer ur question "Using drone radar is nothing new. Its been used for decades. Thousands of drones have been placed in DOT work zones, on ambulances, on school busses, on police cars, on agriculture tractors, in school zones, and in neighborhoods seeking speed reductions. Drone radar units are designed to emit a police radar signal to drivers with radar detectors. Detector drivers hear their radar detector alert and slow down thinking the police are ahead. Such warning can come from over a mile from the drone location. Although the use of radar drones is not new, dramatic changes in radar gun frequencies render many drones useless." Thanks to www.speedlabs.com

Yoda of Radar

FCC outlawed drones, and RIGHTLY so as they are junk transmissions.

However NHTSA beat them up for their lunch money until they allowed them.

And there you go

Radar Fanatic

If LEO's start using K band exclusively in drone zones or they start using Ka drones, We're finished!
    FCC needs to be more vigilant in enforcing radar pollution.
    Colin Powell's son, Michael, was named Chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in 2001 but rumor has it that he left recently.
    We should all log complaints about drones.

Yoda of Radar

Wouldn't the drones "jam" the radar? Probably not very well but should affect?

Radar Fanatic

I heard once on this board that two LEO's could be shooting at the same time and not have a problem because the frequency could be off a little on each gun making the difference.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    I heard once on this board that two LEO's could be shooting at the same time and not have a problem because the frequency could be off a little on each gun making the difference.
    I have a similar experiance...

Autoroute 35, just before a bridge there was a "Your speed is" sign on K-Band, been there for months.. anyway, as I pass often there I knew where the K-Band alert started... But one day, the K-Band alerted like 1Mins before it used to.. so I was like WTF?!? then it shut off.. then happend again.. then shut off, so I slowed down, then when I reached the Usual "false" K-band, insted of showing K1 to K9 is was bouncing from K1 to K7 , K1 to K9.. then I knew there was something going on, as I pass the "Your speed is" sign, I saw a Police Officer Shooting a HandHeld K-Band Radar..

so I guess him shooting radar at like 1feet from the other K-Band source was not affecting is reading :?

Good Citizen

Finally, somebody else here to complain about these things on I-40! There at least 3 drones that I know of between the Cary exits and RTP on I-40. If I am looking at the right things on the poles, they look like V1 Dave's avatar. I think all 3 I've seen have solar panels as well.

I seriously wonder why these things haven't been vandalized yet. Even though there are solar panels on them I think there are wires running to the ground. Wouldn't be that hard to put them out of comission, even with a pellet gun or something.

I really hope that this doesn't mean we'll start to see more of these in North Carolina.