Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    585

    Default Radar Guns range

    Hi all!

    I am looking to get a radar gun to do some testing . Theres a lot of K55s and KR10s for sale, does somebody know what kind of range can i get with these units?

  2. #2
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Staffordshire, Uk
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    legal range cops can get you is about 400 meters.... 1312 feet.

    so i would have though all will at least do that.

  3. #3
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Yeah the Bushnell Velocity is around this range and from what i heard, its the least powerfull one.

  4. #4
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Staffordshire, Uk
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    jimbonzzz will answer the question when he sees it...

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default Re: Radar Guns range

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
    Hi all!

    I am looking to get a radar gun to do some testing . Theres a lot of K55s and KR10s for sale, does somebody know what kind of range can i get with these units?
    Detection range with a radar detector, or range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained?

    Both will vary quite a bit.

    As far as the range at which a speed reading can be obtained, that will depend on the radar cross section of the vehicle. Here are the results of a range test done way back in '79 using a Kustom KR-11. Results are in feet.




    As far as how far away a detector can detect the radar, that will depend on a lot of different factors. If you have line-of-sight between the radar and the detector, you could easily get 10 miles or more. But under regular conditions, the curvature of the earth limits line-of-sight to 5 miles or so, so to have 10 miles line-of-sight one of the two would have to be at the top of a hill or something.

    IMHO, super long-range tests are not all that great for comparing detector performance, as the farther away you get from the detector, the more environmental conditions come into play.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    585

    Default

    I was talking about the range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained ill be more precise next time :wink: . Ive seen some guys talking about 2500fts regular range with the K10 would you trust them? And do you know if the K55 has better range? Thanks!

  7. #7
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    I am not 100% sure about the 'K10' persay, but the average radar gun(s) today can lock on readings of between 1/4-1/2mile max. (This is approx of course many variables come into play; but 2500ft may not be that far off given the right circumstances)...

    X has the least effective targeting range...Ka the longest and K in the middle but decent...(Again varies from gun-to-gun, manufacturer-to-manufacturer and the surrounding enviroment etc etc)....

    X also can be 'detected easiest' (from the furthest distance by an RD); Ka is normally the hardest to detect, and K in the middle.

    (This however does NOT mean that your RD will always pick up a 'X' band signal, before a 'K' band signal, it all depends on the RD's sensitivity to a particular band, and the circumstances surrounding any given encounter.)

  8. #8
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
    I was talking about the range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained ill be more precise next time :wink: . Ive seen some guys talking about 2500fts regular range with the K10 would you trust them? And do you know if the K55 has better range? Thanks!
    Yes, I would trust the range of the KR-10/KR10SP(?) to do that, but again it will depend on the vehicle's RCS.

    Here's some range test data of two different K-55's from back in 1980:
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrb.html
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrf.html

    The one with the more powerful antenna could clock a Winnabego from over a mile away...

    Jim

  9. #9
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    The one with the more powerful antenna could clock a Winnabego from over a mile away...

    Jim
    Darn good thing I stopped using my Winnabego as my DD. :shock: :shock:

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
    I was talking about the range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained ill be more precise next time :wink: . Ive seen some guys talking about 2500fts regular range with the K10 would you trust them? And do you know if the K55 has better range? Thanks!
    Yes, I would trust the range of the KR-10/KR10SP(?) to do that, but again it will depend on the vehicle's RCS.

    Here's some range test data of two different K-55's from back in 1980:
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrb.html
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrf.html

    The one with the more powerful antenna could clock a Winnabego from over a mile away...

    Jim
    Thanks for posting those links! Wow, that is a wide variation in range between the two antennas! K55s generally seem to be weak radars. Fortunately, V1 loves X band and can sniff out the weak ones miles away.

    I found the notes at the end very interesting. There are a lot of things that can cause spurious readings. And to think those are still being used today in some places!

    GTO_04

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 04:21 PM
  2. Decatur radar units are they quality radar guns?
    By Audi Quattro in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
  3. Radar Guns by State + Photo's of Guns
    By Orbital75 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 07:14 AM
  4. LASER GUNS' & Their Max Range Specs'
    By StlouisX50 in forum Local & Regional Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •