Speed Demon

Default Radar Guns range

Hi all!

I am looking to get a radar gun to do some testing . Theres a lot of K55s and KR10s for sale, does somebody know what kind of range can i get with these units?

Radar Fanatic

legal range cops can get you is about 400 meters.... 1312 feet.

so i would have though all will at least do that.

Speed Demon

Yeah the Bushnell Velocity is around this range and from what i heard, its the least powerfull one.

Radar Fanatic

jimbonzzz will answer the question when he sees it...

Advanced Member

Default Re: Radar Guns range

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
    Hi all!

I am looking to get a radar gun to do some testing . Theres a lot of K55s and KR10s for sale, does somebody know what kind of range can i get with these units?
    Detection range with a radar detector, or range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained?

Both will vary quite a bit.

As far as the range at which a speed reading can be obtained, that will depend on the radar cross section of the vehicle. Here are the results of a range test done way back in '79 using a Kustom KR-11. Results are in feet.

As far as how far away a detector can detect the radar, that will depend on a lot of different factors. If you have line-of-sight between the radar and the detector, you could easily get 10 miles or more. But under regular conditions, the curvature of the earth limits line-of-sight to 5 miles or so, so to have 10 miles line-of-sight one of the two would have to be at the top of a hill or something.

IMHO, super long-range tests are not all that great for comparing detector performance, as the farther away you get from the detector, the more environmental conditions come into play.

Jim

Speed Demon

I was talking about the range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained ill be more precise next time :wink: . Ive seen some guys talking about 2500fts regular range with the K10 would you trust them? And do you know if the K55 has better range? Thanks!

Yoda of Radar

I am not 100% sure about the 'K10' persay, but the average radar gun(s) today can lock on readings of between 1/4-1/2mile max. (This is approx of course many variables come into play; but 2500ft may not be that far off given the right circumstances)...

X has the least effective targeting range...Ka the longest and K in the middle but decent...(Again varies from gun-to-gun, manufacturer-to-manufacturer and the surrounding enviroment etc etc)....

X also can be 'detected easiest' (from the furthest distance by an RD); Ka is normally the hardest to detect, and K in the middle.

(This however does NOT mean that your RD will always pick up a 'X' band signal, before a 'K' band signal, it all depends on the RD's sensitivity to a particular band, and the circumstances surrounding any given encounter.)

Advanced Member

I was talking about the range at which a vehicle speed reading can be obtained ill be more precise next time :wink: . Ive seen some guys talking about 2500fts regular range with the K10 would you trust them? And do you know if the K55 has better range? Thanks!
    Yes, I would trust the range of the KR-10/KR10SP(?) to do that, but again it will depend on the vehicle's RCS.

Here's some range test data of two different K-55's from back in 1980:
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrb.html
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrf.html

The one with the more powerful antenna could clock a Winnabego from over a mile away...

Jim

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    The one with the more powerful antenna could clock a Winnabego from over a mile away...

Jim
    Darn good thing I stopped using my Winnabego as my DD. :shock: :shock:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Yes, I would trust the range of the KR-10/KR10SP(?) to do that, but again it will depend on the vehicle's RCS.

Here's some range test data of two different K-55's from back in 1980:
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrb.html
    http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/rdrf.html

Jim
    Thanks for posting those links! Wow, that is a wide variation in range between the two antennas! K55s generally seem to be weak radars. Fortunately, V1 loves X band and can sniff out the weak ones miles away.

I found the notes at the end very interesting. There are a lot of things that can cause spurious readings. And to think those are still being used today in some places!

GTO_04