Good Citizen

Default does turning x and pop off, improve ka detec on the x50?

If you turn off x and pop. That's means there's less to scan so therefore have greater ka detec?

Advanced Member

Default Re: does turning x and pop off, improve ka detec on the x50?

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Magnet
    If you turn off x and pop. That's means there's less to scan so therefore have greater ka detec?
    Some detector do not change their sweep when disabling bands, some do. The X50 might change the sweep, but that is just from what I have heard users report on performance and is not a sure thing.

X-Band is suach a narrow band, only 50 MHz wide compared to the the rest (2.8 GHz) that even if the detector changes the sweep when turning off X-Band, the difference would be so small that it wouldn't cause a noticable performance increase.

Turning off POP, on the other hand, might increase Ka sensitivity since the detector is spending a lot of time hitting that frequency, at least once ever 67ms or so. Maybe we'll try that and see what happens...

Jim

Good Citizen

I'm confused...Is Instant On and POP not the same thing? Can a detector with POP off still pickup Instant On alerts?

Good Citizen

Instant On and POP although similar in concept, are very different. POP is a lot quicker. Instant On is widely used, and POP is rarely used.

Radar Fanatic

no, Instant-on and POP are not the same thing. Instant-on is when the officer will wait till he sees a car thats speeding, hit the trigger, get a lock and pull you over. in POP, the radar unit will send out real short bursts or radar to get an "estimate speed" (this is why an officer shouldnt issue a ticket with this, because its not copletely accurate), then once he finds your speeding, he will hit the trigger, get a lock, and pull you over. im sure Jim can go into more detail than me, but thats my explanation .

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by csteph
    I'm confused...Is Instant On and POP not the same thing? Can a detector with POP off still pickup Instant On alerts?
    POP sends out bursts in 67ms on the bee III series, and 14ms on the z-series. basically it attempts to get a reading before the detector can sweep the bands.

Instant on is just letting the radar gun sit in stand by mode. then switching it over to tag a car (all detectors out in the distance will get an alert) then putting it back in standby mode.

Good Citizen

Am i better off without POP enabled? I get so many falses with POP enabled. Is that why the RD's come with POP off by default? (my STi and x50 did)

Radar Fanatic

ive got mine turned off, just cuz i got so many dam falses.

csteph- P.S. im originally from Gaithersburg MD, nice place :wink:

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by csteph
    Am i better off without POP enabled? I get so many falses with POP enabled. Is that why the RD's come with POP off by default? (my STi and x50 did)
    It depends on if POP guns are used in your area.