Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does laser lock your speed instantly?

I was pulling onto the highway the other day and the car in front of me was doing 35 merging onto the highway. As soon as I hit the highway I nail it to get around him, well soon as I start backing off I get a blast of laser twice from a Trooper. I stand on the brakes and back down to the PSL and the car that was merging at 35 goes around me. As I’m approaching the trooper I seen him drop his gun and fumbling to get his car in gear to pull out. Well I thought he got me for sure so I pull the V1 down and stash it under the seat and he blew right past me and pulled the car over that was merging at 35mph. So I’m just wondering when he shot me twice does he have to lock the speed in or maybe he just didn’t get a good reading and shot me again? Man was I amazed I didn’t get a ticket.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Does laser lock your speed instantly?

This should help...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO_AIodtyEU"]YouTube - Bloka Test Team - Laser gun testing[/ame]

You got away because you were not the bigger fish.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
    I was pulling onto the highway the other day and the car in front of me was doing 35 merging onto the highway. As soon as I hit the highway I nail it to get around him, well soon as I start backing off I get a blast of laser twice from a Trooper. I stand on the brakes and back down to the PSL and the car that was merging at 35 goes around me. As I’m approaching the trooper I seen him drop his gun and fumbling to get his car in gear to pull out. Well I thought he got me for sure so I pull the V1 down and stash it under the seat and he blew right past me and pulled the car over that was merging at 35mph. So I’m just wondering when he shot me twice does he have to lock the speed in or maybe he just didn’t get a good reading and shot me again? Man was I amazed I didn’t get a ticket.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Lidar guns have several modes. For example, I can put my Stalker into Single Shot mode, and it will lock on to the first speed/distance it gets. If conditions are right and aim is steady, the operator should be able to get a reading in under a second... in most conditions.

When I first started using Lidar, I was a total newbie with them. It would take me up to 5 seconds to get a reading on average. Someone with practice, like an LEO, should be able to get an instant lock if conditions permit. Some conditions might include weather, type of car, angle/position, distance, how steady the aim is, etc.

This is why people are screwed with just a radar detector. No detection until it hits your car, and when it does hit your car, instant reading. No time to slow down.
    Last edited by Oyusan; 07-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by corkguykev
    This should help...

YouTube - Bloka Test Team - Laser gun testing

You got away because you were not the bigger fish.

That about sums this thread up...

Professional

Angle plays a a big part too...........

Advanced Member

If he was targeting you and wanted to get you then you would be toast. As was said above, he was probably hunting for bigger game. But the V1 can pick up scatter (or glitter or whatever they call it) and give an early alert. It's not something you can depend on but I am convinced that it does happen. It's happened to me a few times, especially around curves, and saved me before. Of course, I have a jammer too.

Radar Fanatic

Laser gets super fast locks. I never really appreciated how fast it was until I shot a few guns.

Yoda of Radar

I guess it depends on whether you consider the speed of light to be "instant" or not.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

if a satellite 12,000 miles up can determine your speed instantly sure a cop with a laser gun 800 ft away can do the same.

Banned

The LIDAR gun must receive a certain number of good consecutive pulse returns in order to determine speed. It measures time of flight differences between each return pulse to determine speed. Since they fire out pulses between 100-380 (US guns) per second, lock on is in fractions of a second (some guns require up to 70 pulses to get a qualified ready). Fast enough that you're not likely to even move your foot off the gas pedal from an alert without the LEO already having your speed... but not instant (nothing is) nor the speed of light (that's just time of flight of the signal, not the rate).