Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rottweiler Land
    Posts
    10,420

    Default For those of us in the anus state....

    Picked up the paper today and this is the Headline:

    Wednesday, January 11, 2006

    Tickets could fund police cars

    By Chris Lusvardi

    Advertisement

    SPRINGFIELD - The cost of a speeding ticket in Illinois could increase to help pay for replacing old, rusting police cars.

    State Rep. Shane Cultra has proposed legislation to add a $5 fee for anyone who receives a ticket from the state police and is convicted for speeding.The money raised would help the state police buy new cars.A House committee is scheduled to hear Cultra's bill today, the Legislature's first day of the spring session.

    The Onarga Republican said state police from his district approached him about the problem because the agency has no money in its budget to regularly replace the vehicles.

    Rick Hector, a spokesman for the state police, said the agency has not been able to replace any vehicles using general revenue funds since 2002. In that time, 87 vehicles have been replaced using other funds. The agency has 2,314 vehicles.

    "It's poor management on the part of the state," Cultra said. "Once they're behind, it's hard to catch up."

    Hector said the agency's fleet averages 122,000 miles of use, and some vehicles are about 10 years old. Ideally, the state police would like to replace its vehicles when they hit 80,000 miles, Hector said.

    "It's definitely a concern we have as an agency," Hector said. "We are working with legislators and the governor and hope we can eliminate and reduce the mileage on the vehicles."

    Hector said the state police inspects their vehicles on a regular basis, but some vehicles have been breaking down. Some of the older squads have rust on their frames and pose a safety threat for the drivers of the vehicles and others on the road, he said.

    The bill's sponsor also is concerned about the safety of the vehicles.

    "When they go at high speeds, they need to be reliable," Cultra said.

    Cultra didn't have an exact dollar amount on how much money the fee would raise, but he said it would be a "substantial amount."

    The proposal is House Bill 4307.

  2. #2
    Scratonicity Groupie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,614

    Default

    I'd propose that you contact your state rep with the NMA on this issue immediatly to see if they can stop this non sense!

    Ideally, the state police would like to replace its vehicles when they hit 80,000 miles, Hector said.
    I do not sit well with this at all - if I'm Yonnie LEO I'd drive the piss out of my car if it had 60K miles just so I could get a new one - by pacing the highway back and forth all day writing tickets!

    I guess the troopers will really be looking out for your saftey now? or will they be looking out for a sweet new ride?

    5 dollars is nothing towards the value of a car...

    by my fuzzy math it would take 6,000 tickets to fund one car on this route!!

    that would generate 30K towards a car + $600,000 for the state... HRMMMM yeah good way to get your troopers to get the governor a raise?

  3. #3
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    This is further proof that it's all about the money!

    I wonder what they would do if everyone started to obey the speed limits? Probably lower the speed limits or raise taxes!

    With all the money they raise from this they'll be able to upgrade to Hemi-powered Chargers with the police package! That way they'll be able to chase down the speeders more quickly.

    GTO_04

  4. #4
    Scratonicity Groupie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,614

    Default

    Heck - why not take all the money you get for one year from writing traffic enforcement tickets! Lets say they bring in 300K a year - roll that into a CD at 5% and that would be just about enough to fund a nice car!

    but what do I know?

  5. #5
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    With all the money they raise from this they'll be able to upgrade to Hemi-powered Chargers with the police package! That way they'll be able to chase down the speeders more quickly.

    GTO_04
    In Quebec the provincial police tested all the upcoming police cars... 5,3 litre Impalas, the Hemi 5,7 and 3,5 V6 Chargers and Magnums, and of course the trusty Crown Vic. They didn't like the rear suspension on the Mopars, didn't like the V8 Impala, so they are going with 3,9 litre V6 Impalas.

  6. #6
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    With all the money they raise from this they'll be able to upgrade to Hemi-powered Chargers with the police package! That way they'll be able to chase down the speeders more quickly.

    GTO_04
    In Quebec the provincial police tested all the upcoming police cars... 5,3 litre Impalas, the Hemi 5,7 and 3,5 V6 Chargers and Magnums, and of course the trusty Crown Vic. They didn't like the rear suspension on the Mopars, didn't like the V8 Impala, so they are going with 3,9 litre V6 Impalas.
    That's interesting! I suppose they didn't like the V8/FWD combination of the 5.3L Impala. That would be a little nose-heavy I suppose. Unless they're just trying to save a few bucks.

    GTO_04

  7. #7
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    126

    Default

    At Chevrolet, it's the Impala 9C1 patrol car and the 9C3 undercover car, which are mechanically the same. The Impala was substantially redesigned for 2006. New is a 3.9-liter V6 engine, replacing the venerable 3.8. The new engine uses variable valve timing and a variable-length intake manifold to help produce 240 hp, 40 more than last year's 3.8. Oddly, Chevrolet has made the potent 5.3-liter, 303-hp V8 available in the 2006 Impala SS, but has declined to offer that engine in a police version. Insufficient demand, says Chevy.

  8. #8
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rottweiler Land
    Posts
    10,420

    Default

    [quote="SmaartAasSaabr"]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04

    In Quebec the provincial police tested all the upcoming police cars... 5,3 litre Impalas, the Hemi 5,7 and 3,5 V6 Chargers and Magnums, and of course the trusty Crown Vic. They didn't like the rear suspension on the Mopars, didn't like the V8 Impala, so they are going with 3,9 litre V6 Impalas.
    They will regret that, that's what we have. Pieces of crap!!! Had more problems in 6 months than the crown vics had it 100,000K. :x

    But If they get 06 maybe it will be different.....

  9. #9
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thestampcollector
    At Chevrolet, it's the Impala 9C1 patrol car and the 9C3 undercover car, which are mechanically the same. The Impala was substantially redesigned for 2006. New is a 3.9-liter V6 engine, replacing the venerable 3.8. The new engine uses variable valve timing and a variable-length intake manifold to help produce 240 hp, 40 more than last year's 3.8. Oddly, Chevrolet has made the potent 5.3-liter, 303-hp V8 available in the 2006 Impala SS, but has declined to offer that engine in a police version. Insufficient demand, says Chevy.
    I know some police officers and most of them don't like the pre-06 Impalas as well as the Crown Vic.

    Looks like the Impala got a power upgrade even with the 3.9, it should be quicker than the Crown Vic or at least as quick.

    GTO_04

  10. #10
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rottweiler Land
    Posts
    10,420

    Default

    I don't like them because even with 1K on the clock the belt was squealing like a pig and when you start it it feels like a 4 cylinder dodge. Not to mention when you put your foot in it it jerks to the left due to front wheel drive.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
  2. One more reason to hate the Anus state
    By Rottman in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
  3. Beware Illinois AKA ANUS residents....
    By Rottman in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2006, 11:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •