Newcomer

Default How would you recommend med to set up my detector?

My Cobra XRS-9700 just arrived and I have just started to used it.

Since the cops here in Sweden only use laser (in non moving police cars) and then we have speed cameras how should I set up my detector?

I drive about 90% on the highway were the cops only use laser and 5% in the city, and 5% on roads that have speed cameras. I want my detector to be set up the best possible way so it does not false alarm. Is there anything I need to turn off completely?

Help thanks.

Here are the specifications of my detector
    http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=...ct_id=377&id=1

Here is the manual
    http://www.cobra.com/pdf/RADAR/XRS9700_manual.pdf

Advanced Member

Well, it sounds like laser is your biggest threat, followed by speed cameras.

You could probably turn off X-band completely, it doesn't sound you'll encounter that at all, I don't think speed cameras use X-band. That would reduce falsing (assuming there are X-band motion sensors where you live).

For laser, a Blinder or something similar would be much better. Don't expect too much laser protection from just a detector. But, I know jammers are illegal in some places. There are a couple of different ideas for laser protection from a detector:

-Mount high, and you might have a better chance of the detector alerting to laser targeting a vahicle ahead of you (it can "see" through their window better etc)
    -Mount low (closer to the aiming point), and use VEIL on your reflective surfaces or a laser plate cover, and maybe the officer won't get a speed reading on the first hit, but you detector might alert, giving you time to slow down before the second shot...

Good luck...

Jim

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Well, it sounds like laser is your biggest threat, followed by speed cameras.

You could probably turn off X-band completely, it doesn't sound you'll encounter that at all, I don't think speed cameras use X-band. That would reduce falsing (assuming there are X-band motion sensors where you live).

For laser, a Blinder or something similar would be much better. Don't expect too much laser protection from just a detector. But, I know jammers are illegal in some places. There are a couple of different ideas for laser protection from a detector:

-Mount high, and you might have a better chance of the detector alerting to laser targeting a vahicle ahead of you (it can "see" through their window better etc)
    -Mount low (closer to the aiming point), and use VEIL on your reflective surfaces or a laser plate cover, and maybe the officer won't get a speed reading on the first hit, but you detector might alert, giving you time to slow down before the second shot...

Good luck...

Jim
    Thanks!

Old Timer

Can I ask why you bought a detector and not a laser jammer?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Can I ask why you bought a detector and not a laser jammer?
    Both jammers and detectors are illegal in Sweden. A jammer costs about three times as much as a detector. If the police get there guns jammed they will search your car until they find what they are looking for. Big fine and the jammer confiscated.