View Poll Results: What will you do with your Radar Detector now banned?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Destroy your detector as recommended by the police

3 13.04%
  • Sell it for a low price

2 8.70%
  • Never use it

0 0%
  • Use it as normal and hope the police dont pick it up with RDD or see it on display

4 17.39%
  • Get a stealth Bel STI and use that instead

14 60.87%
    Good Citizen

Default What will you do with your RD when banned in West Australia?

Soon in Western Australia, radar detectors will be illegal. What will you do with your detector?

Thinking of concealing it and turn off when see the police. RDD can't pinpoint a car out of traffic can they?

Does radar detectors detector radar ok through plastic/dash carboard or only glass (I know Ladar would not but radar is a radio wave signal?

Any thoughts??

Power User

RDD can pick your RD up thru anything...well except a sealed lead box

Power User

Default Re: What will you do with your RD when banned in West Austra

Quote Originally Posted by qwsoftware
    Soon in Western Australia, radar detectors will be illegal. What will you do with your detector?

Thinking of concealing it and turn off when see the police. RDD can't pinpoint a car out of traffic can they?

Does radar detectors detector radar ok through plastic/dash carboard or only glass (I know Ladar would not but radar is a radio wave signal?

Any thoughts??
    If your the only one passing by, the officers spectre will chirp, he knows it is you. There was a great video of the polineza sp? trying to locate the offender in traffic, they were finally able to catch the person. Just as we know how to interpret our RD's, the police at trained to use there RDD's and know how to interpret its signals.

Power User

here is the VID of the Spectre....

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=rdd

Radar Fanatic

I didn't vote because none of the choices apply to me, in ONTARIO where i live, I use a CORDLESS S2 and keep it conceiled in "something" that not in a million years you will find out about it... also I keep it on the dash, once again inside "something", and so far, 6 months, I got 3/3 successfull alerts, 2 laser and 1 K radar...and be very VIGILANT :wink:
    Take care

qwsoftware, I know that it has been reported in the local media in WA that RD's would be made illegal soon and people caught would also receive a $1000AU fine to boot. However I have not seen any info on when these laws will be bought to parliment. Any info on when this is sheduled I would love to read.

Country WA are recomending that the goverment FIX THE ROADS rather than ban RD's, I have writen to my local politician and I recomend all others do the same in WA, as we need country roads fix more than we need RD's banned IMO. Letters to Poly's and follow up phone calls from a few people on roster does wonders. Take turns at ringing up each day.

I will be considering upgrading to a STI if tests prove that it is stealthy and betters the RX 65. We need to get smart with placement, Especially if you live between two police officers in a small country town.

Good Citizen

Stalker
    Thanks for the video,

Very interesting.

If you could wire your radar detector in so it would only turn on above the minimum speed limit, this would make it difficult for the police to locate you.

Yep, if you are the only car you have no chance.
    :?: What would be good is if a say Bel released a low cost small chip that sends the same signal as a radar detector for say under $10 but is not a detector, if many cars had these installed, the police would not be able to use RRD (would be like us with many petrol stations transmitting same frequencies as the police!!! - lots of falsey)

Australia
    Yes you are right, no laws yep. I would love to read too when released!! but I'm sure they will just copy the same rules from the other states, where you can get fined for carrying one (even if off in the boot of your car )

I will send a letter too.
    I would consider an STI but think there is no point unless remotley mounted or completley hidden from the front window, side windows and rear window. This will be difficult unless can conceal some way..

Hey Road Warrior, sounds a good hiding place :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Australia

Country WA are recomending that the goverment FIX THE ROADS rather than ban RD's, I have writen to my local politician and I recomend all others do the same in WA, as we need country roads fix more than we need RD's banned IMO. Letters to Poly's and follow up phone calls from a few people on roster does wonders. Take turns at ringing up each day.
    That is excellent advice. It is a lot easier to prevent a bad law from being passed than to get a bad law repealed! I belong to the NMA, a motorist rights organization in the US. We are unpaid volunteers. We encourage our motorists to write and/or call their legislators on issues that are of conern to them. Trust me, most legislators will listen if you write or call them!

The insurance industry tried to sneak through a radar detector ban in Indiana back in 1991. Not a word in the local media about it. I found out about it from the NMA. We got 3 NMA members to go to the committee hearing and testify. The committee seemed impressed by that and they never even took a vote on the bill, it was killed immediately!

One legislator said that each letter or phone call they get represents a few thousand votes. So yes they do pay attention, at least at the state level.

GTO_04

Apathy is our worst enemy. That is how this anti-motorist BS gets passed in the first place.

Power User

if there is some sort of petition let me know, I will sign it