Radar Fanatic

Default Adequate Coverage

I currently have a 2001 Chevy Prizm (103318 miles) tan in color with my V1 mounted in the center of my windshield (good rear antenna exposed) mounted just below my rear view mirror. Laser and POP alerts do not seem to be a threat in my part of rural Arizona (but I did get my first "J" alert the other day). So any suggestions to improve my protection to laser will have to wait till I have a newer car. But I would be interested now in hearing what further laser protection you experts might suggest under the conditions I have outlined above ( if any). I don't want to protect my self or go stealth over your RD's but just to police radar. I run my detector in full alert (A) mode but I suppose (l) or (L) would be more logical in the cities. X-band is not turned off. The reason I run full alert is (1) I am rural and pretty much know where the X-band might go off and who knows, it could possibley be legitimate police alert although I am not sure how much X-band is used. (2). I personally feel that switching off functions is counter productive in my opinion. With features turned off people can proudly proclaim that their units never false and be happy as can be at how quiet their units are. I guess my question for you in the know is do you feel I am adqueately protected (good unit, properly placed, correct functions enabled etc). I do like to be informed. Those people that claim their units false could in reality be missing a legitimate police alert. Heck who knows maybe brand (x) in the future may be my choice. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. Happy motoring and safe journey.

Lead Foot

CactusMan,

You got it all in perspective. I wouldn't turn anything off either for the very reasons you stated (counter-productive). One recommendation I have would be to get some laser-Veil to get a little bit more added protection from laser (until you get that new Farrari ). It's reasonably inexpensive and you get to have fun applying it.

Other than that, you're on point.

Radar Fanatic

For me filtering works because I do a lot of driving and not much speeding so it is more of an entertainment value without being annoyed to death.
    If I am in a hot zone and I am speeding sure I will cut the appropriate filters.

Radar Fanatic

lol setitoff- on my retirement salary I cant afford to pay attention let alone a new car at the moment. Yes i have thought of the veil protection as well but only after I purchase a new vehicle. And thanks V1 Dave all your comments are appreciated.

Lead Foot

I feel ya on the retirement salary. I just retired from the Army in May '03 and I wonder if it was worth it. Not the years and work, but the retirement pay.

Radar Fanatic

CactusMan,

Don't feel bad about your mileage I bought my 93 Chevy Caprice 12/99 with 105293 now it has 184268 no smoke or oil consumption so I feel very lucky.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Adequate Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by CactusMan
    I currently have a 2001 Chevy Prizm (103318 miles) tan in color with my V1 mounted in the center of my windshield (good rear antenna exposed) mounted just below my rear view mirror. Laser and POP alerts do not seem to be a threat in my part of rural Arizona (but I did get my first "J" alert the other day). So any suggestions to improve my protection to laser will have to wait till I have a newer car. But I would be interested now in hearing what further laser protection you experts might suggest under the conditions I have outlined above ( if any). I don't want to protect my self or go stealth over your RD's but just to police radar. I run my detector in full alert (A) mode but I suppose (l) or (L) would be more logical in the cities. X-band is not turned off. The reason I run full alert is (1) I am rural and pretty much know where the X-band might go off and who knows, it could possibley be legitimate police alert although I am not sure how much X-band is used. (2). I personally feel that switching off functions is counter productive in my opinion. With features turned off people can proudly proclaim that their units never false and be happy as can be at how quiet their units are. I guess my question for you in the know is do you feel I am adqueately protected (good unit, properly placed, correct functions enabled etc). I do like to be informed. Those people that claim their units false could in reality be missing a legitimate police alert. Heck who knows maybe brand (x) in the future may be my choice. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. Happy motoring and safe journey.
    You are lucky you can run in A mode. I live in the Cleveland area and the first day i got my v1, I drove out in A mode and within seconds of leaving my driveway I had 8 bogeys counted. The mess was too much to process... so i went to L and have not gone back.

Founder of Stealthvation

Default Re: Adequate Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusMan
    You are lucky you can run in A mode. I live in the Cleveland area and the first day i got my v1, I drove out in A mode and within seconds of leaving my driveway I had 8 bogeys counted. The mess was too much to process... so i went to L and have not gone back.
    Same here. Do you at all drive on I480. BE CAREFULL they LOVE laser!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Yes, living in rural Arizona I can run full alert and as I stated, I don't think laser and POP are an issue here. I do get the occasional X band alert but I really don't consider it falsing due to the fact that the RD is reporting what is out there regardless whether it is a police alert or from a supermarket. The RD is just telling me that "Something" is using X band and as I stated I do want to be informed. Thank goodness there are filtering modes for X band in the city and I would probably use them but I would never disable X band. To me that would defeat the purpose of having a RD in the first place. Anyone who has ever experienced an Arizona summer knows that black is not the color to go with. Although I do see some black but I don't think its to make the vehicle less visible to radar. And for the gent who said he was retired Army- thanks for serving. I too am ex Army but didn't retire from the military. I have gotten what could be considered Laser alerts when on occasion I have passed by a yellow or orange text construction sign but have yet to get a laser alert from any tail lights. I did get zapped with Laser in Deming, New Mexico once on I-10 westbound. Fortunately I was going the speed limit.