Newcomer

Default Preparing for battle & confidence level

After a week of driving with a detector, I see it requires a change in driving style. Being with out a RD and having snagged a few tickets, I've learned to keep it at max 5 over around where I drive. Which is Urban/suburban lots of malls, and falsies. There some places where it isn't really possible for a cop to set up, and you can go faster, then there those times your passing someone. Then about 15-20 over on the Hwy, depending on traffic, and this would be going with some traffic.
    Question is, how do you all who drive with RD's drive. Still wait for the rabbit, go all out, no change. I know if you have a clear road ahead of you with no cars, you always have that chance of getting hit with the instant on. I've also read the v1 run down and Roy's.
    How much confidence do you put in your RD, has anyone's RD completely failed them. Meaning getting a radar ticket where the RD didn't go off at all.

Yoda of Radar

I pretty much started driving with RD when I started driving... My driving style did progressively change as I gained experience (so much faster )

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Preparing for battle & confidence level

Quote Originally Posted by rcrX
    After a week of driving with a detector, I see it requires a change in driving style. Being with out a RD and having snagged a few tickets, I've learned to keep it at max 5 over around where I drive. Which is Urban/suburban lots of malls, and falsies. There some places where it isn't really possible for a cop to set up, and you can go faster, then there those times your passing someone. Then about 15-20 over on the Hwy, depending on traffic, and this would be going with some traffic.
    Question is, how do you all who drive with RD's drive. Still wait for the rabbit, go all out, no change. I know if you have a clear road ahead of you with no cars, you always have that chance of getting hit with the instant on. I've also read the v1 run down and Roy's.
    How much confidence do you put in your RD, has anyone's RD completely failed them. Meaning getting a radar ticket where the RD didn't go off at all.
    Since I've started using an RD, mine is a cordless S2 mounted on my dash, I've been 3/3 successfully alerted, 2 laser and 2-3 K (front and from behind, 1 K alert on the freeway from 1 mile ahead, the others in the city at close range), so I count a lot on my little S2 BUT I never rely solely on the S2, I always try search the open road as far as I can, as far as my eyes let me do it, also I always asses that particular road I am on, crowded or not crowded, used to be patrolled by police cruisers or not, etc., etc., etc.

Experienced

I've had my V1 for about 6 months now. I've noticed that I don't drive much faster in town and I pay a lot more attention to having a rabbit in front whenever going >10 over.

I live in a rural part of the west, so I have a fair number of long drives with little to no traffic, once I leave town. Whenever I'm out on a long, wide open drive, I go a lot faster than I used to drive.

So, I tend to speed more on the highway, and less in town than in the pre-V1 days.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by trazadone
    I've had my V1 for about 6 months now. I've noticed that I don't drive much faster in town and I pay a lot more attention to having a rabbit in front whenever going >10 over.

I live in a rural part of the west, so I have a fair number of long drives with little to no traffic, once I leave town. Whenever I'm out on a long, wide open drive, I go a lot faster than I used to drive.

So, I tend to speed more on the highway, and less in town than in the pre-V1 days.
    Last summer I visited your very beautiful and WILD state, comming from Colorado, I visited Bryce and Zion Cannyons, spent 4th of July near Grand Canyon, North Rim, than back on the road towards Salt Lake City and further north... since then, if somebody asks me which part of the US I like the most, and so far I've been to 45/50 states, my first choice must be Utah... man, it's so wild, so red, so... go back again
    And you got 75 mph speed limit 8) where I live, Ontario, it's just 60 mph :cry:
    Take care now :wink:

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior
    Last summer I visited your very beautiful and WILD state, comming from Colorado, I visited Bryce and Zion Cannyons, spent 4th of July near Grand Canyon, North Rim, than back on the road towards Salt Lake City and further north... since then, if somebody asks me which part of the US I like the most, and so far I've been to 45/50 states, my first choice must be Utah... man, it's so wild, so red, so... go back again
    And you got 75 mph speed limit 8) where I live, Ontario, it's just 60 mph :cry:
    Take care now :wink:
    The 75 mph limit is pretty nice. Most of the cops don't look at you very much unless you're doing 84 or better (your mileage may vary). We drove up to Salt Lake yesterday with the cruise on 84. We were going with the flow and sailed past a Highway Patrol cruiser without a second glance. It's a holiday weekend, and they were probably looking for bigger fish, especially the drunk one.

Come back and visit any time. Southern Utah and the National Parks are beautiful. You'll also find plenty of wide open roads for, uh, testing out your car. 8)

Radar Fanatic

I've been driving with a RD for roughly 4 years. 2.5 with a Bel remote and 1.5 with the V1. These little devices have made me more aware of what's going on, leaving no doubt when I've been clocked and when I haven't. That experience has given me the knowledge that I can not be 100% sure that a speed trap won't take me by surprise. (NYSP...crazy freaks.) As a result I do exactly what I did before I bought an RD: I drive within the "buffer zone" and don't take risks that I won't be able to pay for. Once in a great while I'll take it a little over but that's heavily dependent on unique circumstances. After all, my personal goal is not to get anywhere in a hurry. It's to drive at a reasonable pace without tickets. No need for me to beat the clock.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by trazadone
    The 75 mph limit is pretty nice. Most of the cops don't look at you very much unless you're doing 84 or better (your mileage may vary). We drove up to Salt Lake yesterday with the cruise on 84. We were going with the flow and sailed past a Highway Patrol cruiser without a second glance. It's a holiday weekend, and they were probably looking for bigger fish, especially the drunk one.

Come back and visit any time. Southern Utah and the National Parks are beautiful. You'll also find plenty of wide open roads for, uh, testing out your car. 8)
    Thank you for the open invitation for the near future I would like to do Alaska, by car of course, not too easy but why not when I was in Sturgis, SD, I met a group of bikers with Maine plates, all between 40 and 65 years old, I asked them "you guys were biking all the way from Maine up to here in SD???", they replied to me, a little bit offended by my innocent question " No, we are comming from ALASKA, so Maine-Alaska-SD and then back home to Maine", I was so :shock: hearing that but now I realize that driving or riding a bike is for someone an unique passion for the open road... and one of the bikers was 65 or even older 8) no limits when you love something :wink:
    Holiday weekend now, it must be Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but maybe I'm wrong as I'm not American... anyhow, enjoy the holiday weekend, whatever that might be, time for some relaxing moments :wink:

Power User

Well because of earlier tickets way back, I became a tone down driver, not doing more than 10 over, generaly speaking, on occasion if I have good cover I would take it up to 20 over on the highway. But mind you I was "profiling" any cars that appeared off in the distance as police crusier, so I was always covering my brakes (mind you not actualy braking but dam ready to if needed), so generally speaking although I did not speed much I was sort of a very "tense" driver, let alone the rest of south florida traffic to worry about.

Anyways, with the RD I am able to relax, I realize laser and instant on is still deadly, but driving with traffic ahead lowers the risk getting caught off guard. I generally do 10 over and the occasional 20 over on the highway, it's just that I am more relaxed, and although I am still looking ahead, I trust that my RD is listening for any tell tell signs farther up the road. No RD is 100% reliable, but I feel very confident with it as an extra pair of eyes and ears for a look out.

A big difference is that on long distance trips, because I am not profiling cars and brakeing because of look alike police crusiers, I can save alot of fuel! Seriously the cost of fuel it has saved me has paid for the RD! I can do 1/4 of a tank better in mileage. Not to mention again a more relaxed drive, I actually arrive from a long drive refreshed!

Now how could I go on in life with out a RD, I would not like too. It going to be one of those things I much rather have! In addition I have come to learn/interpret which alerts are false and which are real. The thought of having to possible adapt to a new RD also keeps me from upgrading. I am content now, but always eager for more Ka protection.

:wink: