Good Citizen

Default Radar Frequencies

Is there a list out there that summarizes the various frequencies used by the different radar units?

I'm wondering if you could use tech mode on a Bel Sti to differentiate between different models and/or manufacturers.

As well, if a unit is setup with forward and rearward facing radar, are the frequencies different so the guns will not interfere with each other?

Normally I see 24.150Ghz or so but I recently passed an oncoming cruiser and once past, I got blasted by 24.200Ghz. Not sure if the rear unit had a different frequency but I was curious.

TIA.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Radar Frequencies

I think they jump around to try and defeat cheap RD's ...but maybe additional reasons too.. anyone eles have more to add

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
    Is there a list out there that summarizes the various frequencies used by the different radar units?

I'm wondering if you could use tech mode on a Bel Sti to differentiate between different models and/or manufacturers.

As well, if a unit is setup with forward and rearward facing radar, are the frequencies different so the guns will not interfere with each other?

Normally I see 24.150Ghz or so but I recently passed an oncoming cruiser and once past, I got blasted by 24.200Ghz. Not sure if the rear unit had a different frequency but I was curious.

TIA.
    Only one police radar in production can transmit on two antennas at once, and that is the Stalker Dual DSR 2X, which operates on 34.7 GHz.

If you pick up 35.5, you know it's either a Kustom or Decatur gun. If you pick up 34.7 you know it's a Stalker. And if you get 33.8 it's a MPH radar. Oh, and if you get a 33.6 alert it is mostly likely a polluting Cobra.

With K band you will not know which brand radar it is. May be an Audi or Mercedes with lane assist.

There is value in knowing which Ka radar is in use. My primary RD is the V1 but I will periodically run with an STi or Redline to see what frequencies are in use from time to time. Now that 35.5 is being used more often, if I get a Ka alert on a curve, I will act on that alert immediately because there is not as much time to slow down before I get in range.

GTO_04

Good Citizen

Thanks guys. It's 90% k band here with very little ka.

I was hoping to weed out falses by using the frequency displayed but so far it seems not doable.

Advanced Member

Thanks guys. It's 90% k band here with very little ka.

I was hoping to weed out falses by using the frequency displayed but so far it seems not doable.
    Wow, that's nasty. I sometimes see the IDENTICAL frequency on K-band from a local door opener at Walgreens to a LEO down the street. K-band breakdown by frequency doesn't help at all. (Unless you are in a town that has maybe 2 or 3 squad cars)

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04 View Post

TIA.
    Only one police radar in production can transmit on two antennas at once, and that is the Stalker Dual DSR 2X, which operates on 34.7 GHz.

If you pick up 35.5, you know it's either a Kustom or Decatur gun. If you pick up 34.7 you know it's a Stalker. And if you get 33.8 it's a MPH radar. Oh, and if you get a 33.6 alert it is mostly likely a polluting Cobra.

With K band you will not know which brand radar it is. May be an Audi or Mercedes with lane assist.

There is value in knowing which Ka radar is in use. My primary RD is the V1 but I will periodically run with an STi or Redline to see what frequencies are in use from time to time. Now that 35.5 is being used more often, if I get a Ka alert on a curve, I will act on that alert immediately because there is not as much time to slow down before I get in range.

GTO_04
    That info came in handy once while driving to Vegas from SoCal on I-15. I was 5-6 miles from the CA-NV border and got 2 hits, 33.8 and 34.7. Sure enough, one CHP before and one NHP after the border.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MarshVegas View Post
    I think they jump around to try and defeat cheap RD's ...but maybe additional reasons too.. anyone eles have more to add
    Frequency hopping was/is used with Ka-band, not K-band.