Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Is a detector worth it???

First I would like to say I did a search and read Radar Roy's guides and couldn't find this question, so sorry if it's a repeat.

I am considering a Bel RX65, but I would like to know radar detectors are even worth the cost or effort. Doesn't it usually mean the the officer has already radared/lasered you by the time your detector goes off? So it's too late to try and slow down?

Thanks

Yoda of Radar

Yep! Nope! (unless you're talking laser)

Power User

If you are a speeder then a good detector is worth it's weight in gold, I would also look into the x50. 8)

Radar Fanatic

With a high-end unit, absolutely. I've been saved countless tickets. People that say they don't go off until being clocked are the people that own Cobra and other garbage detectors. I've gotten up to two miles pre-warning with my RX65. No detector is 100%, but i'd say they're worth it nontheless.

Radar Fanatic

In the case of laser, you are right... for the most part by the time it goes off its too late. With my V1, I've detected cars ahead of me lasered, but mostly I don't pick up laser till I've been nailed personally... not much good.

Radar however is a whole other story. Cops used to use constant on radar all the time, so they were real easy to pick up. Now they perfer instant on.

So if you are the only car on the road, or the first car in line then you will be done as soon as you are hit. However, with the radar chances are you'll pick up cars ahead of you getting nailed with laser long before you get to the trap.

Here in the cleveland area many cops use instant on and moving radar... I've been saved many many times from radar speed traps. For laser traps I've only been saved 2 times by my detector. (at night).

I say the detector is worth its weight in gold. Nothing will protect you 100%, but keeping your eyes open and a good detector on the dash will help.

Advanced Member

I would add that a detector plus some laser counter measures increases the value of the dectector. Veil, Lasershield, black bra may delay the lock enough to allow you to slow down.

If its a point blank shot only the next gen jammers will work

Power User

Besides avoiding a ticket and the extreme cost of insurance, I would like to add that it is worth it to me because now I do not profile cars thinking that they are police up ahead thus tapping my brakes and slowing then reaccelerating. So in addition saving me from the expense of a speeding ticket (mind you they dont prevent a nonradar police unit to spot you doing a wrong turn/run red light), it has saved me stress and saved me gasoline. So the money I spent on my detector I have made up not only in avoiding those traps but also in other ways as well.

Now if you have a cheap RD, its a different story. In this game of cat and mouse I don't understand the reasoning of getting a sub par product for something as important as this.

Laser is pretty well known for you have very little chance of avoiding a speeding ticket. But Radar you have a chance and the longer range you have is self explanatory. Now instant on radar you still have a chance because the traffic ahead is drawing target and the instant on is beamed further down the road will you will get early warning. But if there is no traffic ahead and you are alone, then as the saing goes you are toast.

Newcomer

I have also been conisdering this radar detector:

http://www.radarbusters.com/products.../cruisader.asp

B/c it's less conspicuous and not in the middle of my windshield. I can't seem to find any reviews on it though. Has anyone else tried it?

Advanced Member

Check the motorycle forum. Its a new unit so I dont know how many are out there.

Newcomer

It looks like base on these numbers that the Cruisader isn't very good.

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/product-tests/2.asp