Thread: moving radar?

Default moving radar?

what is a moving radar, and how can I use it to win a case/speeding ticket?

Radar Fanatic

That's just the term for radar when used by an officer in motion. E.g. the officer travelling toward you when he clocked you. You could start by finding out what make and model of radar he used. From there you should look at what capabilities it does/does not have. E.g. the ability to identify the fastest vehicle, the ability to isolate one lane, etc.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: moving radar?

Quote Originally Posted by JDM_lover03
    Normally when you see a copy sitting on the side of a road shooting radar, he is not moving. Hence, stationary radar.

However, some cars are equiped with radar that they can shoot while the car is moving (moving radar).

In my area the cops can shoot the car directly in front of them, the car behind them, the car in the oncoming lane of traffic and I belive also any car that has just passed them in the opposite lane, all while moving.

I don't know what defense I'd use other than perhaps if there were other cars on the road in other lanes also that he can't be sure which car was hit.

Lead Foot

You are refering to the Multanova 6F-MR? If so you won't have a chance against a ticket from it on the count that its moving radar.

Its perfectly legal and homologised. It uses a speed control unit installed in the car that makes it move at a constant speed, the with a Multanova 6F unit it clocks the car while moving at constant speed an then automatically takes into account the speed of the police vehicle relative to the targeted vehicle. Pops a photo of the rear of your vehicle if you are over the limit and its over and done.

so if your spotted with a moving radar, you really have no good chance to find error in court, thus no good chance in winning?

Lead Foot

so if your spotted with a moving radar, you really have no good chance to find error in court, thus no good chance in winning?
    I'm not familiar with american made moving radars but if its like the Multanova 6F-MR, no, no chance in winning in court based on the count that its was moving radar. They have that well covered, its even photo radar and have a foto of the vehicle targeted with all the data of the infraction imprinted on it. So its not you word against the officers either.

Professional

In general, the "it was mobile radar" defense will get you laughed at. Mobile radar has been upheld in God knows how many challenged tickets in America (assuming that's where you are). As brick said, look into the type of radar used, serial number, etc., and then go after calibration records, history, and other things you can attack.

Lead Foot

brick hit this right on. Here is more info taken from the thread Radar 101.

There is a variation of traffic radar, which is called moving radar. It works pretty much the same way as (stationary radar), only that moving radar is used when the cop car is moving (for the purpose of highway patrol, for example). There are two readouts on the radar unit, one shows the target speed, one shows the cop car speed. The strongest return signal, usually reflected from highway signs, bridges or other objects, is assumed to be the cop car speed. The next strongest signal, is assumed to be from the target. Since the target speed will only be relative to the cop car speed, therefore by adding the cop car speed to the relative target speed, one will get the absolute speed of the target. Moving radar is subject to all the errors stationary radar has, plus the error of determining the cop car speed.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey

There is a variation of traffic radar, which is called moving radar. It works pretty much the same way as (stationary radar), only that moving radar is used when the cop car is moving (for the purpose of highway patrol, for example). There are two readouts on the radar unit, one shows the target speed, one shows the cop car speed. The strongest return signal, usually reflected from highway signs, bridges or other objects, is assumed to be the cop car speed. The next strongest signal, is assumed to be from the target. Since the target speed will only be relative to the cop car speed, therefore by adding the cop car speed to the relative target speed, one will get the absolute speed of the target. Moving radar is subject to all the errors stationary radar has, plus the error of determining the cop car speed.

so how can I compress this into court case questions, how can I make a good case with a high chance of winning?, thank you for any help

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by bogey

so how can I compress this into court case questions, how can I make a good case with a high chance of winning?, thank you for any help
    A lot depends on the circumstances (did you get a ticket or is this hypothetical)

You could ask questions like:
    Is the radar gun he was using 'mobile compatable', check into what radar gun he used and how reliable it (the model) is?
    Does he know how it works and was it working correctly at the time...If so how does he know this?
    Ask him how is he sure he targeted your car instead of the car next to you? How does he know your car had the stronger return signal? (Were there other cars around you that could have caused misreadings)... (the further away...the better chance he got someone else.)?

etc etc...

Make sure you get the standard things (also stated) calibration records, officer training and history etc etc.

Be careful(and respectful)... Get a lawyer if its a huge deal

you may want to post this in the 'How to beat your ticket' section.