Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Detector/Jammer Legality in New York, Jersey, and local area

Greetings guys,

Well, I'm a n00b here, let the flaming comence. 8) That stated, I have the all important question before I go out of my way to buy a detector/jammer... Is one legal in my area?

I live in NYC, but I travel throughout lower NYS and on the Jersey Tpke all the time. I assume that I've really just been lucky not having been caught on the Turnpike yet, cause I usually see it swarming with cops. Mind you, I travel with the pack, and I try to stay in the middle of a bunch of cars, but luck travels with all who speed, even occasionally, and one day, it does run out for all of us. I want some insurance.

Does anyone here know, or know where I can go to find out if radar/laser detector/jammers are legal in my area? I really stick to NY and NJ, so I can deal with it if they're not legal outside of that area.

Also, as a quick question, what do you all think of this radar? http://board.tercelonline.com/viewth...ge=1#pid234933

Advanced Member

It's crap save your money. Do yourself a favour and do some searches on this forum. Radar jamming is illegal and ineffective and RMR products are the joke of the industy

Power User

Rocky Mountain

enough said, stay the HELL away from that SHYT!

Power User

And if on an odd chance that it does do anything at all this is what you have to look forward to...

click the link

RMR

Radar Fanatic

If forced to choose between depending on a RMR "scrambler" and mooning cops as I drive by, I avoid wearing a belt.

The RMR is a POS. Spend a week here and figure out what's good.

In NY/NJ, radar detectors, laser detectors, and laser jammers are all legal.

Radar jammers, which are hard to find anyway, are illegal.

Rule #1 - don't buy anything from RMR. It doesn't work.

Good luck out there on the Turnpike.

PS - the cars on that site are um... funny.

Yoda of Radar

RMR? Oh my gawd

Sorry guys, I misphrased that. What I meant was "Are detectors or jammers illegal here?"

I am interested in a detector primarily, because I know it would be completely useless in any state where it was illegal. But thanks, you answered my questions anyway. It sucks that I won't be able to get a detector, though...

I actually lurked for a couple days before I joined up, and read a few threads over, and it seems like you guys definitely know your ****. I would like to stick around and learn as much as I can, even if it's just contributing to speed trap zones and such.

Well, look forward to seeing me around a wee bit...

BTW Judge, you haven't seen **** till you've seen a turbo'd Tercel. You might wanna click around on that site a bit and see if you can't hunt down some of the vids.

For the most part, we don't claim to be the best on the block, but for a lot of us, when we bought them, it was what we could afford, and now we wanna do something with them. So we do. Can you imagine the embarrassment when a Tercel kills a Civic? Even so, we usually get props from 'em after a race. Moral of the story is that you deal with what ya got.

Anyway, thanks again guys!

Yoda of Radar

Why can't you get a detector? And trust me, they are very useful where they are illegal [like where I am] :wink: :wink: but they aren't illegal where you are...

Laser jammer not illegal there either AFAIK.

Turboed Tercel? Bah! I've seen turbocharged HYUNDAI ACCENTS here.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ncc74656m
    It sucks that I won't be able to get a detector, though...
    I think you might have misunderstood. Radar *detectors* are completely LEGAL in every state except Virginia and Washington D.C. in vehicles under 10,000 pounds. So unless you're driving a big rig, you're good to get one.