Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default is lasershield less effective after it gets very wet? *PICS*

My lasershield looks very very different after the rain. I've posted this before but i really do need this question professionaly answered.

When its dry, it looks blurry, especially when viewed at it from the sides at a sharp angle. Which is why a cop noticed it and gave me trouble for it, if i get caught again i'll be screwed.

However it just rained tonight and now my lasershield makes my license plate look very sharp and clear, as if the shield is not there at all, even on the sides and up close.

My question is, does this mean the shield is less effective at combating laser after it is wet?

If rain doesn't affect it's effectiveness, i may have found my solution to my problem, I can just spray it wet with water every few days to keep it like this, coz it takes 4-6 days for it to dry up.

Professional

Yes, it does affect it.

Logically, the laser shield works by diffusing the incoming laser beam, that is, it scatters the bounce so it doesn't go straight back to the gun.

In theory you can get the same effect by sandpapering your license plate's surface, as it would then scatter the bounce. Basically it is a bunch of pits, bumps, and ridges on the surface... that is why it also makes the plate less clear.

Think back to your days in secondary/high school... think of the laser shield close up and think of the surface as having a bunch of little triangle hills... if you take a light beam and shoot it into a prism, the light does not go straight out, it diverts. This is essentially the diffusing effect that the laser shield does.

Now, what the water does is it fills in the bumpy surface so that it is smooth and flat. That gets rid of the "sandpaper" and "diffusing" effect. So yes... it becomes clearer, and it also doesn't do it's intended job anymore.

In fact I've done something similar before for a different project, in that the surface of a screen (ie. mobile phone, camera, etc.) was scratched about and unclear. I put some water on a hard plastic surface and pressed it down on the screen, and the water filled in all the cracks and scratches. It made everything very clear for a while until the water eventually evaporated.

Anyway, hope that provides some insight

Professional

I forgot to mention that things like density of water vs the plastic, the fact that the light would be transitioning through 2 different mediums (plastic/water) does mean it STILL works with the water on it filling in the ridges, just not as well. But I would say the effectiveness is greatly reduced.

Professional

Nvr2fast, yes i totally understand what you mean.

Veil guy? or Radar roy? Or anybody else? Can u pls confirm this? I know Mackid did some infrared test saying that after his lasershield was wet, it had more reflection.

Professional

yep, when it was wet and i had my nightshot camera on it, i actually thought part of it broke off until i went up and touched it. it definately affects performance

Professional

NVR2fast helped me take a photo of it, i'll post it up soon. Perhaps someone can please give me a good solid answer if it will really decrease in effectiveness once it's wet?

Professional

Here it is

Notice how some sections are really nice and clear, which are the wet parts, and int he middle, its more dull and blurr. That is the dry part which is how the entire plate would look like when its wet.

Old Timer

looks like you need to take it off, clear out the water behind it, and when you put it on, make sure to put somthing around it so water cant fall behind it. maybe scotch tape or somthin...

Suf Daddy

Default I'm thinking.................

Wet tee shirt party at Ned Kelley's or the Bottom's up club..............

-Suf Daddy

Power User

I still think it would do its job, it is the texture of the sheild that does it...even with the plate right on it I am sure it would still work.