Newcomer

Default new member to the site....looking to get a good RD and Infos

Hey folks what's going on? well i just join this site so i can be a better inform radar buyer before i get my first unit. my question for y'all experts: What's the difference between Instant-on and POP? i hear people make a lot bones about them, please inform me a little better!!!! IF There is anyone here from the Central Florida area please let me know what are the LEOs tactics and weapons of choice in use against us???? Orlando, Kissimmee, Winter Park!!!!!!!

Power User

Hi and welcome, I suggest you click the search and READ READ and more READING!!!

POP has a shorter burst than instant on....just read m8..heaps of info on here.

Good Citizen

Check out the thread on this page that says rd 101. And then get you a x50 :wink:

Banned

thats how it always goes

Yoda of Radar

One of the best things you can do to awnser your question(s) is use the search function.
    So many topics have already been covered... It makes it extremely fast for you to recieve awnsers to your questions, because when you look up topics you dont have to wait for replys' (like you would if you posted a topic)...they are already there!
    If you cant find information you want by using the 'search' function then go ahead and post away normally responses are pretty quick.

(Stalker already awnsered your questions about instant-on vs. POP).

Radar Fanatic

my recommendation for RADAR detection:

1. X50/RX65 - first time user? easy to interpret alerts and program, also has great city mode
    2. V1 - this is for fanatics more complicated to program and no automute, gotta love the arrows though
    3. Sti - if detectors are illegal in your place, there will be a GOL test soon

worried about LASER?

Get the following
    1. Veil
    2. if plates are required in the front laser shield
    3. Laser Jammer if legal in your state

Power User

Yeah the fastest way to absorb all the info is read read and read. I ealize answers do not always appear strieght forward and threads are filled with opionions but it is the best way to get a grasp of the subject at hand.

As for instant on verses pop... instant on is where the radar gun is placed in "hold" where there is no emittance, i.e. no early warning that a LEO (law enforment officer) is up ahead. When the officer triggers the gun (releases the hold) on the traffic ahead of you, this is when you hop to get the alert if you are in range to pick up the signal. If you are traveling all alone or the leader of a pack of cars, this is what is referred to as "you are toast" I think it is self explanatory.

Pop is a little something different, something a little more sneaky. Pop is kinda off instant on, the radar gun is still placed in a "hold" mode. But instead off using full power to instant on you, the gun manufacturers have develope a very low power quick burst of radar energy, time wise it is 67 ms duration, and there is yet another pop radar gun capable of even shorter burst of 16 ms. This allows the officer to determine an approximate speed NOTE that this method is not accurate and a officer should NOT issue a citation based on this result. But having said that, the officer has to switch to instant on mode to properly verify the reading.

Now these short burst 67 ms or 16 ms are so short that it is difficult for RD to pick up, thus the evolution of pop mode. However the introduction of pop mode also allows for increased falses. Even if you see a LEO shooting radar and you have intermitent POP alerts, this does NOT mean that the officer is actually shooting pop mode.

So thats your crash course into the world of POP, remember in these situation you are depending apon traffic ahead to give away that there is a LEO up ahead. Rule #1 keep a rabbit (bunny) ahead of you.

Radar Fanatic

read some of the articles and FAQ's on guysoflidar.com

Professional

Central Florida police forces use lots and lots of laser, as do all police in Florida. Plan accordingly and get a detector that does well with lidar such as the V1 or X50 (avoid the RX65--superior radar detection means nothing if it gets hit dead-on by lidar and doesn't alert), and get yourself Veil regardless and a LaserShield if you have a front plate (I know Florida doesn't require them, but lots of drivers get vanity plates on their front end).

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Central Florida police forces use lots and lots of laser, as do all police in Florida. Plan accordingly and get a detector that does well with lidar such as the V1 or X50 (avoid the RX65--superior radar detection means nothing if it gets hit dead-on by lidar and doesn't alert), and get yourself Veil regardless and a LaserShield if you have a front plate (I know Florida doesn't require them, but lots of drivers get vanity plates on their front end).
    And superior laser detection means nothing if it's hit dead on by lidar.