Newcomer

Default Radar Adjustment

I have a simple question, but can't find the simple answer. Can LEOs adjusts the range of their radars?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Radar Adjustment

I don't think they can

Advanced Member

Yes they can. There is a range adjustment. It would be used more or less to target vehicles close range and ignore vehicles further away. Kind of a method to filter out unwanted readings.
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Radar Fanatic

Yup those guns are adjustable.

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Yes they can. There is a range adjustment. It would be used more or less to target vehicles close range and ignore vehicles further away. Kind of a method to filter out unwanted readings.
    Yeah, all the mobile radars made by Stalker, Kustom Signals, MPH and Decatur have range adjustments. Be advised, it only adjusts the sensitivity of the receiver.........the power of the transmitted signal is not effected, ie. they always transmit at full power regardless of the range setting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Newcomer

Excellent! Thanks for the quick responses. I got into an interesting debate, because my buddy says that they can adjust the range of detection so that even by the time a radar detector picks up on it, it would be too late.

Advanced Member
    Upstate New York where the Stalker Dual is King

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for the quick responses. I got into an interesting debate, because my buddy says that they can adjust the range of detection so that even by the time a radar detector picks up on it, it would be too late.
    Yep, it's a very common misconception (mostly amongst LEOs themselves) that turning down the range makes them harder to detect by reducing the power output. Maybe thats why so many sit there running Constant On.............maybe they figure detection distance is cut back proportional to their range on targets on the lowest setting? Well, that works for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Radar Fanatic

Great info.