Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Should I return my RD for another one?

I have a 9500ix and I'm still in my 30 day test drive period. i have not registered the detector, and is therfore still returnable. My question is, should i return it and get a redline or V1 or should i keep it?

I want good range since im paying so much, but idk what to do. My 9500 gives pretty good range, and i like the red light camera thing, but i dont run red lights lol. the speed camera issue seemed important, but i've seen some videos of the Redline and V1 picking up speed cameras. WHAT TO DO!?!?

BTW I HAD A COBRA XRS SO IM USED TO FIGURING OUT FALSE ALERTS.

please help. lol i only have till November 7th to make a decision
    Last edited by DUI Elite; 10-17-2010 at 09:11 PM.

snoopyc4

Default Re: Should I return my RD for another one?

Do you mostly do highway or city driving?

Speed Demon

kind of both. i dont speed in the city that much, but i drive close to 100 miles a week on the highway. and i'd say 50 in the city

errr....edit: more like 30 in the city
    Last edited by DUI Elite; 10-17-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Yeah, if you drive mostly a regular route in the city, and are one of these guys who just can't stand hearing false alerts beep, then you're good with what you got. But if not, you get better performance and better features with the V1 for less money. Don't discount the GPS if you do a lot of open highway driving in unfamiliar territory though. I've had my arse saved from many speed traps by GPS warnings from my Cheetah. But the good news is, you can use the Cheetah (same database as the 9500 gps) with any detector.

Unless you are headed into Ontario or Virginia on a regular basis, there is no good reason to consider a Redline.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Yeah, if you drive mostly a regular route in the city, and are one of these guys who just can't stand hearing false alerts beep, then you're good with what you got. But if not, you get better performance and better features with the V1 for less money. Don't discount the GPS if you do a lot of open highway driving in unfamiliar territory though. I've had my arse saved from many speed traps by GPS warnings from my Cheetah. But the good news is, you can use the Cheetah (same database as the 9500 gps) with any detector.

Unless you are headed into Ontario or Virginia on a regular basis, there is no good reason to consider a Redline.
    I digress good Sir. I think his mind ought to be open to BOTH the V1 AND Redline. You can get GPS for either the V1 or the Redline and both options WITH GPS will run around the same price range give or take. If you're stuck on money and can't stand to spend more but can justify the GPS as a requirement, stick with what you have. If you want all out performance, the V1 or Redline will do you fine and you can upgrade to GPS later.

Speed Demon

whats your cheetah setup? (sorry im just getting into this kind of technology)

idk i love the performance, but i keep seeing that theres better performers.

Speed Demon

If you are most concerned with highway driving the V1 is a great choice. The 9500 is better for city driving. Both are very good and it is a matter of preference since both have their strengths. I prefer the V1 with arrows but both are good choices.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
    whats your cheetah setup? (sorry im just getting into this kind of technology)
    http://www.radarbusters.com/photo-ra...4293856176.cfm

The Cheetah GPS Mirror and the C50 or C100 GPS detectors do most of the functions of the 9500 GPS, except for the ability to lock-out falses. Paired with a V1, they can also greatly reduce false alerts without the risk of locking out real radar, like the 9500 has.

idk i love the performance, but i keep seeing that theres better performers.
    The V1 and Redline do both have marginally better raw sensitivity, which translates into seconds or less of notification on Constant-On radar. But with a 9500, you're already getting a few miles of range. Do you really need an extra 100 feet to slow down after five minutes of alerts? It's the theory of diminishing returns with sensitivity.

I would strongly disagree with any suggestion that the Redline is even worth considering. It suffers the same fatal flaws as the 9500, in that it is horribly slow to respond to Instant-On radar, to the point of completely missing many quick shots. That means NO warning. With the 9500, it can be worth that risk in order to have the other benefits it offers. But with the Redline, there are no other benefits, except for stealth, which is only an issue in ON and VA.

That's why, 99 percent of the time, it comes down to the 9500 or the V1, and anything else is a compromise, and in the case of the Redline, a very expensive compromise.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Speed Demon

^hmm i guess i never looked at it that way. the 9500 has always been just a second or 2 off in the videos i've seen. Is the V1's instant on detection significantly better than the 9500?

I've been seeing a lot of LEO's in my highway route with people alredy pulled over but i get 0 alert to them. I tell myself its them not scanning, but idk if thats always the case.

Just the other night, i was going 60 in a 45 (getting ready for a highway on ramp) and saw a cop coming the other way waiting for traffic to clear to turn around. I look up at my 9500 and its silent, and he pulls a U-turn. when he came up behind me, nothing still, still assumed he wasnt scanning, and he went around me cuz i dropped down my speed when i saw it was a crown vic. he kept on his merry way and i ended up getting a few Ka bursts down the road, but never anything to back em up. Idk if I had a V1, it wouldve alerted me or if he was doing Instant On and i was getting lucky sometimes, or what. It got me thinking though

and ehh i run my 9500 on expert mode, not tech like most people do. Expert mode tells you when there are multiple frequencies, so I vaguely trust it. I remember all the places it locks out though just in case a cop is scanning.
    Last edited by DUI Elite; 10-17-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Experienced

I've seen youtube videos where the 9500ix blocked out ACTUAL radar because it was hit in an area that was locked out. Yes it was a set up video but it does prove there are situations that it may not alert. V1 has all out sensitivity that will alert to everything. Redline will also alert to everything. The difference between the Redline and V1 are the Redline does better in off axis 35.5Ghz + stealth, V1 does better with quick trigger.

Also, any video you watch for comparison, make sure they're only running ONE RD at a time as they can interfere with each other due to emissions of RF. Read here more about it: http://www.guysoflidar.com/twodetectors.html