Newcomer

Default Tapping lighter, Hardwire ?

I tapped off my lighter for my hardwire kit. Is a RD a big draw, it looked real low, 400MA in alert around 250MA scanning. How much more can I run off the lighter? Laptop, MP3 player, DVD, Cell phone charger, or anything else you can think of.

Newcomer

And are there any issues with grounding back into the cars wireing, opposed to grounding to the body somewhere.

Math helps here. Find out the fuse rating of your cig lighter circuit. 15 to 30 amps is "normal" for a car circuit like that. To find the amps used by another device, divide the wattage by 12 (OK that's a little low, but it gives a good margin for error). For example: laptop probably takes about 100watts in full operation; so it's drawing about 8 amps. That plus your 0.4 amp RD will be fine, as long as your circuit can take it.

Manufacturers have in recent years "beefed up" the capability of the cig lighter circuit, because they know people use them for all kinds of stuff besides actually lighting cigarettes. I'll bet you'll have no problem running all that stuff at once, but check the numbers first.

In a perfect environment, grounding to, say, the stereo's ground wire is no problem at all. In practice, this doesn't always work great. Best practice would be to find a good chassis ground location.

Good luck.

Newcomer

I'll give that answer a 10.
    thanks