Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default POSSIBILITY OF SELLERS SWITCHING CIRCUITS BTW DETECTORS?

i was just wondering if it was possible for someone, perhaps a shady seller, to be able to switch the hardware from an inferior detector into an outer casing of an expensive radar detector. for example, putting whistler circuitry into a bel rx65 casing and selling it as a bel rx65. is that possible?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: POSSIBILITY OF SELLERS SWITCHING CIRCUITS BTW DETECTORS?

Quote Originally Posted by flashxfusion
    i was just wondering if it was possible for someone, perhaps a shady seller, to be able to switch the hardware from an inferior detector into an outer casing of an expensive radar detector. for example, putting whistler circuitry into a bel rx65 casing and selling it as a bel rx65. is that possible?
    Yes its very possible... why do you ask?

Even though the REV. is displayed everytime the RD is reset; I talked to a very tech savy person about this(when this topic came up awhile back)... he said with a fair amount of knowledge(and time) into the subject one could do it very easily.

i was just wondering about it.......btw what is rev.?

Radar Fanatic

i was just wondering about it.......btw what is rev.?
    short for revision.

Power User

i doubt it...where would they get the outer case from?? it would have to be an exact fit too.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    i doubt it...where would they get the outer case from?? it would have to be an exact fit too.
    \
    Yeah that would be the hardest thing to obtain... a case, size really wouldn't be an issue as it would be a 'rigged' anyways, so everything could be 'made to fit'

I think I've posted this before... its very possible...its just not plausible. There would be much grander scams one could pull on ebay for less effort, and they would need much less knowledge to pull it off.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: POSSIBILITY OF SELLERS SWITCHING CIRCUITS BTW DETECTORS?

I've seen posts on the ebay section about "switched guts" but like why would a shady seller go through the effort?

They would need first to have the inferior unit on hand, make it fit and work with the unit you buy, all of which probably would take at least two hours, not to mention the cost of the inferior detector....

Then once they have the guts of the good detector, what will they do with it? Surely nobody will buy the inferior detector... do they keep it for themselves? How many times would they do this scam? Once?

-----

The paranoia about swapped guts is completely unplausable and distracts from the real issue. The real issue is bad sellers who sell things like "Wholesale lists" and sellers who will sell old firmwares etc and advertise them as brand new. Or sellers who don't deliver as promised.

Most of these situations can be avoided by carefully reading the auction, feedback and other bidder's actions.

a quick tangent.....whats the latest bel rx65 version out and is there a way to check it on the detector?

Professional

Spectre made this with Qintezz ,,, at least thay is what is reported :wink: