Banned

Default Why would agencies say radar detectors are illegal?

Like in VA and D.C. Why did they want detectors to be illegal? Its not a saftey issue or anything? If a LEO is gonna hide and point a "gun" (radar/lidar) at me then I think I should be able to know when Im "shot"? Anyone know the answer? THanks

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Why would agencies say radar detectors are illegal?

DC doesn't enforce the ban, so it's not really a law there. By this I mean you can drive by DC Metro police officers with a radar detector blatantly in your windshield and you won't be stopped. I have never heard of anyone getting a RD ticket in DC, and probably never will. DC Metro has better things to do.

However good ole Hellginia (VA) bans them so they can ticket out of state drivers for using them. Complete revenue grab. Nothing to do with safety.

Power User

VA sucks. I think it's the gate to Hell

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    VA sucks. I think it's the gate to Hell
    X2, it's all about $$$.

Yoda of Radar

Well it'$ $imple really... the government makes the$e thing$ illegal, becau$e it i$ all about $afety my friend. The $econd you u$e radar detector$ or laser jammer$ you become a threat to all of $ociety... there i$ nothing more dangerou$ than individual$ driving with radar detector$.

I've hidden a me$$age in there... $ee if you can find the true rea$on why they are illegal.

Power User

I don't under$tand a $ingle word that you just $aid

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    I don't under$tand a $ingle word that you just $aid
    Its all very cryptic my boy... I don't want the man chasing me, so I had to be subtle about it.

Basically your going to need the team (which developed the 'computer') that cracked the Enigma machine code in WWII.

Power User

Not related to the civilian sector, but I know in the military sector around '93 I think it was the DOD said no more RD's to be used on military installations. The problem before the RD ban was on most bases the PSL is 25-30 MPH and allot of my dumb dumb brethren would try to go 55+ MPH with the thinking they could slow down before the SP's/MP's could get a reading on the RADAR guns, not to smart because the SP's/MP's where I was stationed were using IO RADAR and that combined w/allot less traffic to be used for rabbits on the base = LOSE!!. At least it wasn't about revenue on the base since tickets don't cost anything on AF bases.
    Last edited by Akosikojak; 11-04-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: ADD

Banned

So they're just greedy politications! lol
    Doesn't bother me cause 2morrow I should have my Redline YAY!!!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedUp View Post
    DC doesn't enforce the ban, so it's not really a law there. By this I mean you can drive by DC Metro police officers with a radar detector blatantly in your windshield and you won't be stopped. I have never heard of anyone getting a RD ticket in DC, and probably never will. DC Metro has better things to do.
    We had this conversation before. Here is the DC statute. It's not in the actual code but in the DCMR-Title 18 section 736.

"No person shall sell or offer for sale in the District any device designed to detect
    or counteract police radar.
    No person shall use or have in his possession in an automobile in the District any
    device used to detect or counteract police radar.
    This section does not apply to any vehicle or equipment used by the Armed Forces
    of the United States.
    SOURCE: Commisslonel1l' Order 61·2026 effective November 21, 1961, Article 25, §16 ot the Police Regulations
    (May, 1981).

While it may be true that the DC police have better things to do than to enforce detector laws, be careful less you run into a zealous cop who will do his or her job. Unlike Virginia where the serial number of the detector is recorded for Court purposes and given back to the individual, detectors taken in DC, like Canada, are seized for forfeiture as contraband and are not returned. The penalty may not be much at a Court appearance, usually a post and forfeit amount of $50.00 as a first offense. No guilty conviction, although the prosecutor can try to get a conviction if they want and not offer the post and forfeit option. [Don't quote me %100 on this though] Don't remember whether the offense carries jail time or not. However, I would gladly pay $50.00 if my detector would not be confiscated. The loss of the detector would be the greater penalty.

Take it from me, I have personal knowledege that while it is rare, I have been in Court and obserevd detector offences wind up in the District of Columbia Superior Court and be prosecuted. Consider this, a number of persons may drive by a speed trap at 15 over the limit and not get pulled over by the Leo. Because those persons are not pulled over does not mean that there is no speed limit and enforcement of the traffic laws. You may be the only person, for whatever reason, the Leo decides to pull over. That is why we are on this forum and have countermeasures. We are here to protect ourselves by gaining information and hopefully also to look out for each other.

Consider taking your detector down and slowing down in DC as a form of countermeasure. DC is not that big anyway if you are passing through and you can remount your detector once you pass through DC. Several officers I know run Lidar traps in various parts of the city and if you are pulled over and stopped and they see your detector, they will confiscate the detector. But if you derive excitement from risking the loss of a very expensive detector by playing cat and mouse on the assumption that the officer will leave your detector alone, then by all means continue to brazenly display your detector on the windshield or somewhere else where it is in plain view. I for one don't want to risk my detector so I personally choose to take mine down. A word to the wise.