Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many times have you been saved and caught while operating an RD?

So with all the discussion about pros and cons of each model, I wonder what the save/fail experiences of each user has been, for how many miles and at what part of the country.

So I am looking for an answer that reads:

My "a" RD has saved me from tickets a "b" number of times, but it failed a "c" number of times while mostly driving in the "d, e and f" states for "g" number of miles. The LEO likely/surely used "h" method of detection.

I know I am asking for a lot but it might be a nice survey to have?

Thanks for reading and helping out,

Banned

Default Re: How many times have you been saved and caught while operating an RD?

This has been discussed. I actually strated a thread not to long ago. Please search

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: How many times have you been saved and caught while operating an RD?

Yeah, this has been discussed a lot on here. To keep it short, I've received one ticket, and that was before any rd use. Since having a rd, I've never been pulled over for speeding.

Good Citizen

I know this has been discussed before, but I'll chime in since I'm new to the forum...

I've been running at least a mid-tier detector since 2000, and I received my first ticket for 55/30 early this year. I/O K band got the best of the STi-R/V1 combo. They got me on a week night late at night in a 30 zone, about an 1/8 mile from a 55 zone, transitioning from a town of 1500 to the country. There weren't any cars around for miles, LEO had a great hiding spot, and that's all she wrote. Also, this was pretty much unfamiliar territory for me, and had I known it was one of those small towns that generate a significant portion of their income from the PD, I would have been more reluctant to get on it a tad early.

Aside from that incident, Since 2008, I've had probably 40 or 50 saves at 12-19PSL, and an additional 10 or so at +20PSL. That's not counting all of the "maybe I was saved" at around +10PSL, or being prevented the hassle of pulling over for a search/warning/whatever but not being issued a ticket. I never did regularly speed much over +10-12PSL until after 2006.

Keep this in mind though, I've had far more saves using my eyes, watching other people's brakes, being situationally aware. and knowing where not to speed, than I have running RD's, not to mention the CB I ran from 2000-2006, and I didn't speed much then. Also, I've had a good encounter every year or two that baffles me as to why I wasn't pursued. One time I was hit with I/O K band, 72/55, stomped on the brakes, got hit again at ~57/55, and he (county officer) never bothered to pursue me. Another time I was hit at 92/70 with I/O Ka, and he didn't bother to turn around. So with that being said, it makes it difficult to constitute all the "saves" I had to actually being saves. I've also recently had a 70/55 coming into a 45 zone save where the LEO turned his C/O radar on about two or three seconds after I saw him pulling out of the parking lot, which was technically C/O, but hit me like I/O because it was off before I ever got into his territory. My adrenaline was pumping for that one!

But to answer your question, my:
    Whistler DE-1660 that I ran for a few months in 2000 never received a ticket.
    Bel 980 that I ran from 2000-2008 years never received a ticket.
    Whistler Pro-78 Rev. C that I ran from 2008-2009 never received a ticket. (I still run it in the GF's car, both of us with 0 tickets.)
    My Bel STi-R/V1 combo received a ticket less than 6 months after I installed them.

It's obvious that it there is more to the whole scenario than the detectors.

Summary:
    I received 1 ticket within 6 months of running two of the best detectors available.
    I received 0 tickets during the other 9 years of running different mid-tier detectors.

Speed Demon

Let's see...in the past decade, 3 tickets, 1 LIDAR, 2 radar (unknown band) without the radar detector.

Then some years ago, I picked up a Bel 995 for the car, then later a Bel 955 for the bike. With the RD's, I've never received a ticket and there have been way too many saves to keep track of. The RD's have paid for themselves....and the bike....maybe even the car too (it's not an overly expensive car).

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Radio ZEK View Post
    Keep this in mind though, I've had far more saves using my eyes, watching other people's brakes, being situationally aware.
    Very true. Being situationally aware is a very affective thing.

Good Citizen

Not once have I been pulled over but im never first in line. But I have been zapped with instant on or POP and I just hit my brakes big times don't know if it has helped I have always wondered and it was on the expressway over pass. Does anybody know if doing what I do affects what there detector/gun is reading? My driving is only here in Texas going way down south and Dallas and San Antonio and here in the Houston's surrounding citys. I really don't speed much over the speed limit me being 50 now has slowed me down in many ways. That's what she said. LOL

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by gmctrucks View Post
    Not once have I been pulled over but im never first in line. But I have been zapped with instant on or POP and I just hit my brakes big times don't know if it has helped I have always wondered and it was on the expressway over pass. Does anybody know if doing what I do affects what there detector/gun is reading? My driving is only here in Texas going way down south and Dallas and San Antonio and here in the Houston's surrounding citys. I really don't speed much over the speed limit me being 50 now has slowed me down in many ways. That's what she said. LOL
    Nah, I wouldn't think so. Once they hit you with instant on, it's almost always a done deal, like laser.

Good Citizen

Thanks for the info.

Experienced

I've had my Bel RX65 since July and I'm already wanting to upgrade to a V1/Redline + LI Dual. My Bel RX65 has saved me twice going 15 and 10 over PSL. In California that's probably 700$ worth of the ticket alone and $900 in insurance increases.

I want to upgrade because the RX65 is kinda weak on picking up QT and I/O shots.