Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Finally got hit with radar - the detector didn't help

I've had my V1 for a little over a month and have been a little dissapointed that I haven't had any confirmed hits before now. I was traveling one of local arterials that has a rediculously low 25mph limit. As I rounded a slight bend, I spotted a LEO on the sholder. About a half second after spotting him, he hit me with K (strength eight), which of course was instant on. He held it on until I passed him. I wasn't speeding but I'm sure my STi's massive wing is what got his attention. There were a number of cars ahead of me which he didn't shoot, while patiently waited for just the right car.

To observe his technique, I circled back and took up an observation spot just around the bend facing him. There were a number of cars that past and he only shot a two of them in a 15 minute period, leaving the radar on for only a few short bursts.

The one time I've been shot, the detector wouldn't have helped. I'm not complainig and this doesn't reduce my appreciation for the V1 in any way. However it does give me more apprecation for limits of any detector as well as the skills of the local law officers.

Radar Fanatic

Yes, instant on is a b*****. If he had targeted even one of those cars ahead of you, the radar detector would have done it's job. That cop obviously knew what he was doing too.

The wing is definitely a cop magnet ... nice car though.

-Obsidian-

Power User

man when I had my rexy i couldnt get away from cops..hassled all the time.

Yeah unless you have a rabbit in front of you , Instant on will kill you everytime.

Radar Fanatic

The cops are jealous because the Crown Vics (and Impalas) are slowww! I always wondered if that huge wing attracted the attention of the cops. Cops were always hitting me with instant-on when I had my TA. The funny thing is that, if they were using Ka band, they can't clock me until I'm within a little more than 500 ft. of them. And they usually clock vehicles at about 1,500 ft. The cops were always amazed that I was doing exactly the speed limit when I drove through their instant-on traps.

Now that I have the GTO, the cops hardly pay any attention to me at all. The sleeper look does pay off.

Was that cop quick triggering cars with less than a one second burst?

GTO_04

The long term story here is forcing the LEO industry to use accurate measurement devices, force them to use them correctly, and present IR proof that your car was the point. Even after that, the variable exists that the reads were edge bumper to windshield trim.

Right now - there is enough misjustice out there to force a class action suit. Targets, insurance companies, NTHSA, IACP, and every other LEO dept in the country. Heck - throw in the juducail entities who KNOW the facts, yes refuse to take judicial notice of the facts.

Every driver out there is getting hosed, or is at risk to be hosed.

Example - mass pike eastbound. I was zooming in the middle lane in a skylark (old lady car). I saw statey LEO ahead and jacked brakes. The slow lane vehicle passed me as we approached the statey (who was facing eastbound).... the statey started his persuit.... i was then going 65~ limit.... the other car was still ahead of me.... adn whattaya know ....zoom... right past me....and pulled the innocent car over.

This should not EVER happen today - the technology is out there - and all enforcement agencies are condoned by the judicial players to commit this injustice.

It makes me sick. How many out there are screwed by this scene?

hmm... there's a thought for ya... WHERE ARE THE DARN TEST RESULTS??!!?!? post...sticky! notify ALL!!! Let's go! ;-)

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mrmichael112002
    The long term story here is forcing the LEO industry to use accurate measurement devices, force them to use them correctly, and present IR proof that your car was the point. Even after that, the variable exists that the reads were edge bumper to windshield trim.

Right now - there is enough misjustice out there to force a class action suit. Targets, insurance companies, NTHSA, IACP, and every other LEO dept in the country. Heck - throw in the juducail entities who KNOW the facts, yes refuse to take judicial notice of the facts.

Every driver out there is getting hosed, or is at risk to be hosed.

Example - mass pike eastbound. I was zooming in the middle lane in a skylark (old lady car). I saw statey LEO ahead and jacked brakes. The slow lane vehicle passed me as we approached the statey (who was facing eastbound).... the statey started his persuit.... i was then going 65~ limit.... the other car was still ahead of me.... adn whattaya know ....zoom... right past me....and pulled the innocent car over.

This should not EVER happen today - the technology is out there - and all enforcement agencies are condoned by the judicial players to commit this injustice.

It makes me sick. How many out there are screwed by this scene?

hmm... there's a thought for ya... WHERE ARE THE DARN TEST RESULTS??!!?!? post...sticky! notify ALL!!! Let's go! ;-)
    There is too much revenue at stake, and the courts share in the revenue, for them to allow a settlement of a suit like that.

It is up to us to pressure our elected officials to put an end to this BS. And we can start with more reasonable speed limits. Enforceable speed measurement device standards would be helpful too. Right now there are none!

GTO_04

Advanced Member

They are off drinking somewhere ... bastards

Power User

there was a few stories in Australia where the courts ruled that the radars being used wer not accurate and all MPH units wer removed from squad cars and hundreds of fines refunded....so just goes to show it can happen!!

Damn this beer is going down well 8)

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    The cops are jealous because the Crown Vics (and Impalas) are slowww! GTO_04
    The Impalas are slow, but last year when I drove a crown vic it was FASSSSST! :shock: The interceptor motor got up and moved.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    The cops are jealous because the Crown Vics (and Impalas) are slowww! GTO_04
    The Impalas are slow, but last year when I drove a crown vic it was FASSSSST! :shock: The interceptor motor got up and moved.
    I think it's more the sound of a big V8 going on kickdown My old police Crown really gave you such a beautiful sound when you floored it. Accelerated reasonably quickly but I could get a better acceleration with my Saab on passing type of manoevers.