Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radar

Newcomer

Default Radar

Hey guys finally seen my rx65 work. I was like about a 2blocks away on a curvy road got ka1 then I was like wtf and finally saw him parked across the street. But when I got right up to him it didnt go full on. It went to ka4 or ka5 then right when I passed him like 50ft it said pop. Is that normal guys? I thought it should go full(ka9) right when I pass him? Another question is about how does he clock you for speeding? If I was 2 blocks away wouldnt he know I was going like a little faster than normal and clock me? Or do I have to be in his sight in order to clock my speed?

Radar Fanatic

Could have been a low-powered unit. It reduces detection range, probably doesn't read at full-strength even when you're close, but also reduces the range at which he can clock you. People seem to be running into those more and more often.

Radar Fanatic

I seem to come across some really low-powered Ka units here in Illinois.

Professional

The RX65 i have almost very goes to full warning, while the X50 will go to full warning on exactly the same radar, 5 minutes apart.

So i have to assume the X50 either has more sensitivity to KA radar (photo radar) OR that the RX65 has a higher threshold before showing full warning (ie. you have to be sitting on the radar).

Yoda of Radar

The RX65 never goes to full tilt.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    The RX65 never goes to full tilt.
    I've seen it go full many times, K and Ka. It really just depends if it it a direct signal or reflected. Went through Sesser Illinois today. Always a good spot to test constant-on K band. Officer was facing the same direction I was traveling, I got plenty or warning distance, but the signal only went to 5 bars when passing him. That same officer has lit up every bar for a good amount of time when he is coming towards me.

Lead Foot

What is it with the full tilt? As long as you're getting alerts to the real thing and you have the LEO in visual range you should be reacting, not worrying about your RD going full tilt. Meter mode starts at '1' then goes to '5', no brainer.

"MY" RX65 will and has gone full tilt many times and I've gotten low power hits as well, starting at 3 and going to 4, then quiet. Nothing's wrong with the RD...remember terrain, weather, blocking obstacles, moving with the flow of traffic?

Advanced Member

Mine goes full tilt. I think part of the "not going full tilt" misconception is because the audio neve goes to a constant tone, even when it IS full tilt. Even at full, the audio still continues to "beep beep beep beep" instead of "beeeeeeeeeee......." making it difficult to guage the severity of the threat based on just the audio tones. IMHO this is one of the biggest drawbacks on the RX-65.

Jim

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Mine goes full tilt. I think part of the "not going full tilt" misconception is because the audio neve goes to a constant tone, even when it IS full tilt. Even at full, the audio still continues to "beep beep beep beep" instead of "beeeeeeeeeee......." making it difficult to guage the severity of the threat based on just the audio tones. IMHO this is one of the biggest drawbacks on the RX-65.

Jim
    You're right Jim, it is a misconception.

What was the display when you got the full tilt? All bars? I'm using the sound interpretation as well when in VA (nighttime) for obvious reasons and I here the level change to a constant tone as I get closer to the source. I've had to turn the volumn down because it was so loud. I wish the "SMARTCORD" would control power-up. (offtrack comment)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SETITOFF
    You're right Jim, it is a misconception.

What was the display when you got the full tilt? All bars?
    Yep, all bars...