Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ES13Raven

Default Certain Detectors vs. Certain Bands GOL (Big 4)

Well, it looks like in this test anyway that certain detectors brands do better against certain Radar Bands and frequencies:

How I rate them, Top 10 detectors based on how they did overall:
    (some can be tied)

RX65
    Against Ka 33.8 I give it a 10/10
    Against Ka 34.7 I give it a 8/10 in USA mode, 7/10 in INTL mode
    Against Ka 35.5 I give it a 9/10 in USA mode, 8/10 in INTL mode
    Against K I give it a 9/10

X50 (wish we tested 2 in each category)
    Against Ka 33.8 I give it a 7/10
    Against Ka 34.7 I give it a 7/10
    Against Ka 35.5 I give it a 9/10
    Against K I give it a 9/10

STi
    Against Ka 33.8 I give it a 9/10
    Against Ka 34.7 I give it a 9/10
    Against K I give it a 7/10

V-1
    Against Ka 33.8 I give it a 8/10
    Against Ka 34.7 I give it a 10/10
    Against Ka 35.5 I give it a 7/10
    Against K I give it a 10/10

I won't even bother with X, as everyone did well against X (yes, even the 795. 1552 feet of warning is pretty good). I won't bother with Ku either because it is not used in the US yet, and more units would have to be tested against it first. (the V1s 2700 feet is impressive though)

Yoda of Radar

I agree with most of that especially the USA > INTL on the RX65.

I agree the big thing would be two X50's as has been said, because since manufacturer variance is a evident; it's hard to tell whether the X50 tested was a 'good' one, a 'bad' one, or do they all come out pretty even in the end.

Radar Fanatic

Beyond the differences in performance between detectors, I think that this test was really revealing when it comes to which radar types are easier/harder to detector. It must be once a week that someone posts saying that they got really crappy range on Ka one day, but have detected Ka from two miles away in the past. Now we have absolute proof that not all Ka radars are created equal! We can point to these results when those questions come up.

I would be really interested to know if it is output power that primarily drives the difference or if it is the frequency's location within the band that cuts down on detection ranges. (In other words, does the detector's sensitivity drop off significantly as a signal approaches the edges of the Ka band?) That information would help explain why it is that one detector dominated against one Ka unit but was less effective against another.

Once again I find myself wishing that I were independently wealthy so that I could build myself a radar lab.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Certain Detectors vs. Certain Bands GOL (Big 4)

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    STi
    Against Ka 33.8 I give it a 9/10
    Against Ka 34.7 I give it a 9/10
    Against K I give it a 7/10

V-1
    Against Ka 33.8 I give it a 8/10
    Against Ka 34.7 I give it a 10/10
    Against Ka 35.5 I give it a 7/10
    Against K I give it a 10/10
    I agree for the most part, but feel that the STi (at least csteph's original version) deserves a 10/10 on the most important low-power Ka test (here, 35.5 band). Perhaps RadarRoy's updated version (presumably a detuned version to reduce Ka falsing) only deserves an 8 or 9, though. I'd like to emphasize that the 35.5 band test may be the most important to consider at the moment just because of the shorter detection range due to the new low-powered guns. RD range should be consistent. That is, I expect at least 1000 feet detection range for everything, and enjoy 1250 or more feet. Anything less than 1000 feet becomes a problem. Here, csteph's original version STi was the only one that came close to that minimum requirement, and therefore deserves a 10/10. On the other hand, RadarRoy's updated STi seems to have been detuned to reduce the Ka falsing problem. Thus, the detuned version is about the same as the V1, and both need work in this particular area. All IMHO, of course.

ES13Raven

Default Re: Certain Detectors vs. Certain Bands GOL (Big 4)

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    I agree for the most part, but feel that the STi (at least csteph's original version) deserves a 10/10 on the most important low-power Ka test (here, 35.5 band).
    Well, my ratings were for how they did overall - not individual detectors. I would have rated differently if basing it on the best out of each model. :wink:

Perhaps RadarRoy's updated version (presumably a detuned version to reduce Ka falsing) only deserves an 8 or 9, though. On the other hand, RadarRoy's updated STi seems to have been detuned to reduce the Ka falsing problem. Thus, the detuned version is about the same as the V1, and both need work in this particular area to become acceptable. All IMHO, of course.
    Was his STi "detuned"? Did he get the new software update?

Speed Demon

Well, my ratings were for how they did overall - not individual detectors. I would have rated differently if basing it on the best out of each model. :wink:
    I agree, and that's the way it should be done IF they were all the same versions. It's too bad that ES13Raven's RX65 didn't get tested in USA mode for the 34.7 test.

Was his STi "detuned"? Did he get the new software update?
    My understanding is that RadarRoy had the software update on his. My use of the word "detuned" is my own interpretation of the software update in light of the results for that particular low-power Ka test. YMMV

Power User

My understanding is that RadarRoy had the software update on his. My use of the word "detuned" is my own interpretation of the software update in light of the results for that particular low-power Ka test. YMMV
    They were both the same software verision. The new verision that fixes detecting other detectors is going to be released soon.

Yoda of Radar

My understanding is that RadarRoy had the software update on his. My use of the word "detuned" is my own interpretation of the software update in light of the results. YMMV
    Oh I was under the impression that RadarRoy was just informed there was new software for the STi to solve the false issue when he visited Bel and they gave him the tour. I did not think that they actually updated it for him?

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    They were both the same software verision. The new verision that fixes detecting other detectors is going to be released soon.
    That is what I thought...

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    That is what I thought...
    Sorry, I stand corrected. I'll have to figure out why I thought different from something posted elsewhere.