Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Anyone else scared?

Of the Talon 35.5GHZ now? :shock:

I mean I know it couldnt get a lock in testing, and results with an RD picking it up in a 'real world' situation would be much better.... but let me tell you whenever I see a Talon 35.5 in an LEO car... I will from now on seriously run away (and I do mean get out and run).

Speed Demon

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about new low-powered Ka in general, and about the Talon 35.5 in particular. I hope Valentine can improve the V1s performance in this area.

Along the same lines, does anyone know if any of the current crop of radar guns is adjustable to emit lower power (and thus have less detection range)?

Lead Foot

Default Re: Anyone else scared?

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore

I mean I know it couldnt get a lock in testing, and results with an RD picking it up in a 'real world' situation would be much better.... but let me tell you whenever I see a Talon 35.5 in an LEO car... I will from now on seriously run away (and I do mean get out and run).
    I parked my car after the GOL test! I walk with a 12 volt battery and my V1 is taped to my forhead. Just to be on the safe side!

bogey

Professional

02bad455 Wrote:
    does anyone know if any of the current crop of radar guns is adjustable to emit lower power (and thus have less detection range)?
    In the words of Professor Jim:
    No, none of the police radar has variable output power.
    They do generally have a "range" or "snsitivity" adjustment, but output power is fixed.

Some units do have more power than others though.

Some types of photo radar -might- possibly have variable output power, but as far as I know no police radar does.

Jim

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about new low-powered Ka in general, and about the Talon 35.5 in particular. I hope Valentine can improve the V1s performance in this area.

Along the same lines, does anyone know if any of the current crop of radar guns is adjustable to emit lower power (and thus have less detection range)?
    Im sure if we all throw in a 100 bucks we can get some Russian scientist to build the ultimate detector for us? Hey that's not a bad idea?

bogey

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Anyone else scared?

Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore

I parked my car after the GOL test! I walk with a 12 volt battery and my V1 is taped to my forhead. Just to be on the safe side!

bogey
    That seems to be the safest option bogey. Honestly it really scares me...

but I guess its better then the MutliNova's.

Advanced Member

I get a great range on the local pd with their talon's!!!! Talking to an officer they have all their's "set to maximum range"! I get awesome range and there is a big hill in the way

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    I get a great range on the local pd with their talon's!!!! Talking to an officer they have all their's "set to maximum range"! I get awesome range and there is a big hill in the way
    I thought that the power output wasn't supposed to be adjustable? Maybe the LEO was just referring to sensitivity filtering of the radar gun. Are you getting the great range for instant-on and/or constant use of the Talon 35.5?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    I thought that the power output wasn't supposed to be adjustable? Maybe the LEO was just referring to sensitivity filtering of the radar gun. Are you getting the great range for instant-on and/or constant use of the Talon 35.5?
    They only use constant-on and they hardly use steep angles

But detecting them around the corner I get a POP alert usually

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

I don't know much about "low powerd radar guns" but I get really loud beeps and then sometimes its really low and can't hear it too good. My volume is set 7/8. Is that an example of low powerd radar gun or is my detector just werid?