Radar Fanatic

Default Radar detector testing equipment

Let's say a fanatic wanted to perform GOL-style testing to further investigate some of the questions that remain un-answered. (Because let's face it, the more you know the more questions you have.) What would be the most cost-effective way to emulate a true Ka band radar signal? I'm assuming a simple Gunn oscillator would work, much like GOL used to emulate Ku radar. Are there good internet sources for that kind of thing? Furthermore, do they all have to be tuned or can one be purchased that is already locked to a specific frequency within the band? Would a X50 or RX65 set to Tech mode be an adequate means of tuning?

Sorry for all the questions at once. I think I know some of the answers but I especially need help with suppliers of equipment. I have some ideas for case studies floating around in my head but I would need a RF source more sophisticated than a drug store door opener, cheap enough that I don't need to start applying for research grants.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Radar detector testing equipment

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Let's say a fanatic wanted to perform GOL-style testing to further investigate some of the questions that remain un-answered. (Because let's face it, the more you know the more questions you have.) What would be the most cost-effective way to emulate a true Ka band radar signal? I'm assuming a simple Gunn oscillator would work, much like GOL used to emulate Ku radar. Are there good internet sources for that kind of thing? Furthermore, do they all have to be tuned or can one be purchased that is already locked to a specific frequency within the band? Would a X50 or RX65 set to Tech mode be an adequate means of tuning?

Sorry for all the questions at once. I think I know some of the answers but I especially need help with suppliers of equipment. I have some ideas for case studies floating around in my head but I would need a RF source more sophisticated than a drug store door opener, cheap enough that I don't need to start applying for research grants.
    There are a couple of good internet sources for Ka gunn oscillators, pre-tuned to whatever frequency you desire. But, the last time I requested quotes from these sources for Ka gunn oscillators with matching horns, the price was in the neighborhood of what I've seen used Ka police radar units go for. So, forget about getting off much cheaper by buying oscillators instead of radar guns (at least for Ka) unless there is a source out there that I don't know about. Maybe if you're good, you could do some slick talking and get them to send you a sample or something? With tech mode you could get them to within maybe 12-15 MHz of your desired frequency.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

Strange that an oscillator can't be had cheaper than a radar gun. Looks like you can find a myriad of K band oscillators for pretty cheap, though.

I just found Globalspec and started working with it. Seems like the right search tool.

Advanced Member

Strange that an oscillator can't be had cheaper than a radar gun. Looks like you can find a myriad of K band oscillators for pretty cheap, though.
    I'll bet you could get them really cheap if you buy in lots of 1000 or more You could also maybe use the oscillator with no antenna, but that might yield some unpredictable effects without controlling the beam...

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    I'll bet you could get them really cheap if you buy in lots of 1000 or more You could also maybe use the oscillator with no antenna, but that might yield some unpredictable effects without controlling the beam...
    speaking of oscillators what are they used for what are they Jim.
    any picture so i we can see