Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radar

Experienced

Default Radar

I was wondering if a police radar is 90 degrees to you can you be clocked. SO if the cop is sitting at a stop sign and I go by him will my speed be displayed on his radar.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Radar

Quote Originally Posted by whistler
    I was wondering if a police radar is 90 degrees to you can you be clocked. SO if the cop is sitting at a stop sign and I go by him will my speed be displayed on his radar.
    No.

Speed Demon

No, and not quite. Although he can't get you at 90 deg., he can get 70% of your speed at 45 deg. and 90% at 30 deg. Also, even if the axis of the gun is 90 deg (obviously, it can be different than the cruiser's), the fringes of the usable radar beam may have a bit wider angle. For those who travel at twice or more of the limit, even 70% is enough to cause trouble!

Yoda of Radar

No as Profess Jim said if he has a stationary gun. Some of our local deparments use hand held so the officer could aim at you when you drive by.

Experienced

I was wondering because the police sit on the highways at 90 degrees in between the highway were you cant see them and there surrounded by trees

Yoda of Radar

I was wondering because the police sit on the highways at 90 degrees in between the highway were you cant see them and there surrounded by trees
    The officer may also have the radar unit swilved to take your speed. I use to haul ass when I saw ISP troopers driving the other way on the interstate because I thought it was to far of a distance to get my spped. Then my buddy told me then can move the radr unit to get your speed at virtually any angel. So be careful!!!

Experienced

Ya but my radar detector does not go off

Yoda of Radar

If your radar doesn't go off he is obviously not shooting radar. As I was driving to work today, I was going south. To the west of me at a 90 degree angle (side street to school), there was a NPD officer shooting radar as I drove by. I was right next to him and observed his mounted radar pointed at an angle to the north so he could clock us driving south. SO yes it can be done. What type of radar do you have?

Experienced

I have a Whistler Pro 73.

Yoda of Radar

Are you getting false signals etc? If so I am sure he was just not shooting you. The Pro 73 is a fine unit.....I said unit.....