Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hard-Wiring Detectors

The one thing that keeps me from hard wiring my detector is the fear that my precious valentine will get stolen. I mean, I would love to do it...but already having had my car broken into once (with over $1000 in merchandise stolen), I'm really wary of doing so. Aren't all you hard-wirers out there scared of the same thing?

Yoda of Radar

The hell? Unplug the wire!

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    The hell? Unplug the wire!
    Hmm. Yeah, I guess I could try that. :-p

Yoda of Radar

Ah yeah hey I meant to put a smiley in there somewhere

Anyway I would never leave the RD in view. Sometimes I'll put it in the glovebox or something, or leave the cups on the window and take it in with me. I like taking inside since the temperature is better controlled.

You wouldn't leave a fine cigar sitting on your black dash of your black car in the summer parked for 3 days

Radar Fanatic

I leave mine up in the window all the time during the winter here and it hasn't been stolen yet. Summer heat/direct sunlight destroyed a Cobra I once owned though, so i'm careful to put my RX under the seat when it's hot out.

Radar Fanatic

where mines hardwired you cant even tell i have a detector, so no im not worried . its either above my sun visor being held up by it, or on the windshield behind my tint strip which isnt metallic so its all good. plus ive got a pretty dam good 2-way alarm so i usually know whats going on with my car lol.

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    where mines hardwired you cant even tell i have a detector, so no im not worried . its either above my sun visor being held up by it, or on the windshield behind my tint strip which isnt metallic so its all good. plus ive got a pretty dam good 2-way alarm so i usually know whats going on with my car lol.
    Question. Which 2-way alarm do you have? And how's the range...I used to have one on my old car, but the range wasn't very good. :-/

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiVM
    Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    Question. Which 2-way alarm do you have? And how's the range...I used to have one on my old car, but the range wasn't very good. :-/
    actually i have a Phoenix Digital. honestly i wouldnt recommend it but i got a good deal on it. if i was getting one today id get the Viper 791xv. but i have the PD-175. its alright, it alerts to everything. has remote start but i didnt get it installed cuz i read reviews of people having problems with it. range is one of the longer ones of all the alarms, it maxs at 3000ft. its saved my system a couple of times. 1 time i was in a movie and it went off saying it was the shock sensor, so i ran out and sure enough, 2 15 year old gothic punks that wanted to break in, luckily alpharetta pd is always at the movies and they got ot have a fun night :wink: . i like it though, has a loud siren lol.

Good Citizen

A-townnavi's right. The only way to really get away with a hardwire that you never have to take out the RD or worry about break-ins is:

1) Behind the tint strip
    2) 2 way responder alarm
    3) Tinted windows (i recommend 35% if it is illegal in your state. Otherwise 20%)

Radar Fanatic

this has been answered time and time again...

tint strip would diminish laser detection and not radar?

i have mine jus below the tint strip coz i did not want to compromise detection range