Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Automated license plate scanners

CT is now booming with ALPS. Having a small back taxes/registration issue that will take a bit to work out. I understand the scanners emit ka. I dont speed (especially now) so what's the cheapest half way decent unit for my issue till I can work it out?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Automated license plate scanners

ALPR does not emit radar. Obviously some police cars with ALPR will also be running radar, but that isn't common, and it could be any band. An RD would be helpful in avoiding the maybe 5 percent of cop cars that has radar, but less than one-half percent of that 5 percent will have ALPR. This is not a viable way of avoiding them, even if you could detect them. You would still have no idea which way to run.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

OK....thanks. I'm not a mutt. In fact I'm a volly firefighter and work in the ER. Just a bit of financial hardship and I need a few to get by before I'm back legit. These new eyes on the street are brutal at 3500 plates per minute.

Yoda of Radar

Hey, I've been there too. Shyte happens. Really, plate covers are the only countermeasure for now. But they are a criminal offence in most states now. Good luck.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

I wouldn't be interested in breaking any CT laws, but as a former Lebanon Marine I am always interested in reading about countermeasures. Could anyone in this fine forum direct me to this area in reference to my problem.

Radar Fanatic

If I'm reading this right, you're running w/ expired tags and want to hide them from the plate readers. Is this correct?

Professional

Where does Connecticut get all of the money from to mass purchase those things? Aside from PSP and some limited auto theft task force units I haven't heard of any in use on patrol here in PA. All set up and ready to go the best ones run around $25,000 or more.

Just to +1 SS, they don't emit radar...they read the plates using an infrared light which is invisible to the human eye.

They read plates pretty fast but not quite 3500 plates per minute... the best ones claim they can do up to 1500 plates per minute but that's in optimal conditions with an enormous amount of cars passing by. Even your most populated highways likely don't have 1500 cars passing by a fixed point in a matter of one minute. The number of plates it reads differs depending on where it's in use, a highway versus a city. Most can pick up cars going past at over 100 mph.

Unless you have an incident attached to your license plate you don't have much to worry about. ALPR systems can be used in conjunction with red light camera systems or speed systems but on their own, when mobile on a car or stationary attached to a fixed point outside, they only scan plates for issues with the plates. Things like expired registration, stolen vehicles, stolen license plates, AMBER alerts, wanted fugitives, suspended plates, uninsured vehicles/drivers, etc.

Power User

What color are your tags? If they're white get some white duct tape and change an "O" to a "C" or something. You just want to fool the machines right?

Banned

I have seen them around. Haven't tested if my 3M tape i use on my plates helps, but i have had them take a second look.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    What color are your tags? If they're white get some white duct tape and change an "O" to a "C" or something. You just want to fool the machines right?
    Just make sure the number you change it too isn't also expired or wanted, lol.